Re: [v6ops] New Version Notification for draft-yourtchenko-ra-dhcpv6-comparison-00.txt (fwd)

Andrew Yourtchenko <ayourtch@cisco.com> Wed, 04 December 2013 09:45 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:45:47 +0100
From: Andrew Yourtchenko <ayourtch@cisco.com>
To: sarikaya@ieee.org
Cc: "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] New Version Notification for draft-yourtchenko-ra-dhcpv6-comparison-00.txt (fwd)

Hi Behcet,

On Tue, 3 Dec 2013, Behcet Sarikaya wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Thanks for writing this draft. It is interesting and useful.
>
> I have a few comments:
>
> 1. There is another draft, https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-dhcpv6-slaac-problem
> what is the relation between these two drafts?

IIRC The draft I wrote came out of the discussion of the above draft (in
fact I accidentally hijacked the thread there :) -
there were the usual two strong opinions "this needs to be there" and "this does
not need to be there", so I decided to try to write up a balanced
overall comparison - especially that this type of question comes up a lot
in many contexts outside the IETF.

> 2. In Section 2.1, you consider Wi-Fi but not 3G/LTE. As you know, on 3G links, the standard requires SLAAC.

Great catch! I added the new section to the "running head" version of the
doc on the github. Thank you!

> 3. The document is missing a discussion on another aspect of this issue, i.e. RA options, such as in RFC 4191 and the corresponding DHCP option in
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mif-dhcpv6-route-option-05.
> Adding this to your draft is recommended.

Could you suggest a one-paragraph wording for such a discussion ? Your
comment triggered another idea in my head re options, but I would like to
hear you first so I do not skew what you wanted to say - maybe they are
different ideas.

> 4. Lastly, your .txt document prints two pages for each page you have, I think there is some formatting issue.

Indeed. Thanks! Weird, I just used the xml2rfc with the default settings,
and the boilerplate came from template generator... Maybe I need to
update it. I've created an issue onto the github repo for it, will take
care of it.

--a