[v6ops] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-v6ops-conditional-ras-05: (with COMMENT)

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Wed, 01 August 2018 07:20 UTC

From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-v6ops-conditional-ras@ietf.org, Russ White <russ@riw.us>, v6ops-chairs@ietf.org, russ@riw.us, v6ops@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2018 00:20:31 -0700
Subject: [v6ops] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-v6ops-conditional-ras-05: (with COMMENT)

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-v6ops-conditional-ras-05: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-conditional-ras/

COMMENT:

Thanks to everyone who worked on this document. I have one substantive comment
and a handful of editorial suggestions.

§3.3.1:

>  It should be noted that in IPv4 multihoming with NAT, when the egress
>  interface is chosen without taking packet source address into account
>  (as internal hosts usually have addresses from [RFC1918] space),
>  sessions can not be preserved after an uplink recovery.

This isn't necessarily true. For example, if the NAT is tracking which
ISP-facing interface is associated with a given established session, the
sessions will survive restoration of an uplink.  I have exactly such an IPv4
multi-homing configuration working on my home network (with RFC 1918 addresses
assigned to all local devices), and will happily share details of my
configuration with interested parties.

I propose striking this paragraph from the document.

§1:

>  general multihoming scenario for enterprise networks and proposes
>  solution which relies heavily on the rule 5.5 of the default address

Nit: "...proposes a solution..."

§3.2.6:

>  (as there is no preferred addresses available) and the source address

Nit: "...as there are no..."

§3.3:

>  into account any other uplinks properties (such as latencyetc), so

Nit: "...latency, etc.), so..."

§3.3.1:

>  interrupted as there is no egress path for those packets and there is
>  not return path from the Internet to the correspodning prefix.  In

Nit: "...there is no return path..."

Nit: "...corresponding..."