Re: [v6ops] draft-binet-v6ops-cellular-host-requirements-00.txt

Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se> Mon, 12 November 2012 08:12 UTC

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 09:12:53 +0100
From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se>
To: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
Cc: IPv6 Ops WG <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-binet-v6ops-cellular-host-requirements-00.txt

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012, mohamed.boucadair@orange.com wrote:

> We hope this new version is ready for the WG adoption.

I support adopting this as WG item, but I have some questions:

In
"http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/123400_123499/123401/09.13.00_60/ts_123401v091300p.pdf"
it says:

"A UE which is IPv6 and IPv4 capable shall request for PDN type IPv4v6"

"If the requested PDN type is IPv4v6 and subscription data only allows PDN
type IPv4 or only allows PDN type IPv6, the MME sets the PDN type
according to the subscribed value. A reason cause shall be returned to the
UE indicating that only the assigned PDN type is allowed. In this case the
UE shall not request another PDN connection to the same APN for the other
IP version"

So this draft is duplicating language from 3GPP spec:s, correct? What is
the rationale for the "particular" in REQ#3? Either it's in compliance or
it's not, right? Perhaps a short paragraph on why the behaviour listed is
especially important?

Oh, REQ5 is interesting, I never understood how traffic was mapped into
different bearers since the QoS is done per bearer. Now I know!

REQ#8: Should perhaps say GGSN/PGW intead of "GGSN" to comply with 3GPP
language for LTE as well? (I don't understand why they changed the names,
but they did so...)

REQ#9: Hm, I am not so sure about this one. What happens if PCO and
RFC6106 gives different information? If DHCPv6 gives a third set? Or is
this specified somewhere else?
... Ah, that's in REQ#10. my bad!

REQ#10: Why shouldn't the host support DHCPv6 recursive DNS retreival if
RFC6106 is supported? DHCPv6 gives more information than RFC6106, I think
the device should support DHCPv6 regardless of RFC6106 support.

REQ#11+12+13: +1 on the CLAT+NAT64+DNS64 stuff!

REQ#15: Is the rationale here that a device with IPv4v6 PDP context will
get a DNS64 enabled resolver?

REQ#16: It would help here to just include the text "Happy Eyeballs"
somewhere in the sentence, so I don't have to look at the RFC to identify
what it is.

REQ#17: Should not do DAD on the PDP context interface. In case of
tethering/hotspot, it needs to do DAD on the wifi/lan interface, right?

REQ#19: Shouldn't this be "IPv6 only"? A lot of devices today support
IPv4+IPv6 on wifi, but they do not consider IPv6 only as "connected".
Perhaps this could be clarified?

4. "these cellular devices have to meet". What does "have to" mean, is
that a MUST but not written as such?

This looks like an extremely useful document to have when sendning out
requirements to equipment vendors. Thanks!

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se