Re: [v6ops] Interest in energy consumption of IPv6 smartphones (vs. IPv4)

joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> Wed, 01 June 2016 17:02 UTC

To: "Fred Baker (fred)" <fred@cisco.com>, Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
From: joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 10:02:24 -0700
Cc: "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Interest in energy consumption of IPv6 smartphones (vs. IPv4)

On 6/1/16 9:13 AM, Fred Baker (fred) wrote:
> I personally would find that interesting. As you note, we recently
> posted an RFC about managing power by managing activity. Andrew
> Yourtchenko has been interested in the chattiness of IPv6
> implementations in WiFi, the issue being that it is a shared medium
> (not unlike an Ancient yellow Ethernet cable, and very unlike a
> switched network), so every hiccup reverberates throughout the
> network. I would expect that the issue affects mobile wireless in
> interesting ways. How chatty are we, and what needs to be adjusted?

Energy management is a widely distributed problem. there are a number of
areas where IETF participants have been peripherally or directly involved.

Building or network level power management was an activity of the
operations and management area.

Scheduling on air interfaces would tend to fall to other SDO's though as
fred notes, multicast contention and protocol chattiness are
considerations for protocols that fall within the IETF scope, there is
also scope for transport or IRTF related exploration probably.

joel

>>> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce