Re: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-v6ops-design-choices-04.txt

Philip Matthews <philip_matthews@magma.ca> Wed, 18 February 2015 21:24 UTC

From: Philip Matthews <philip_matthews@magma.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 16:23:57 -0500
To: v6ops list <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-v6ops-design-choices-04.txt

Hi Everyone:

Victor and I just posted this update, which addresses the comments raised in Honolulu, and generally cleans up the draft. No really big changes, but lots of little changes.

A few highlights:
* The wording in the title, abstract and introduction has been modified to narrow the scope of the document. The document no longer claims to cover all choices around designing IPv6 network, but just certain choices that are routing-related. This always been the de-facto situation, but now the introduction etc reflect this.  Some additional sentences saying "X is not covered here, see doc Y" have also been added. Thanks to Dave Thaler and Eric Vyncke for suggestions in this area.
* The text around using BGP sessions to link-local addresses has been updated after some email exchanges with Francis Dupont (co-author of RFC 2545), who observed that RFC 2545 forbids this (even though most vendors support it).
* The text around security of link-local addresses has been modified since some routers forward packets containing link-local source addresses. Thanks to Jen Lincova for pointing this out.
* The initial few sentences in a number of sections has been changed in an attempt to improve the document flow.
* The document now has a security considerations section. There is nothing earth-shaking here; Victor and I elected to just point to some existing documents that are relevant to the choices discussed in the document.

There were many other small changes to try to improve document wording and clarity, and I thank a number of my colleagues at Alcatel-Lucent for their helpful reviews.

Overall, Victor and I feel this new version is much improved, and we hope you guys will too. As always, we welcome further comments.

- Philip