Re: [v6ops] [GROW] Deaggregation data (was: Deaggregation by large organizations)

Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de> Fri, 17 October 2014 09:11 UTC

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 02:11:32 -0700
From: Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de>
To: Nick Hilliard <nick@foobar.org>, Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com>
Cc: v6ops@ietf.org, grow@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] [GROW] Deaggregation data (was: Deaggregation by large organizations)

Hello Nick and Iljitsch,

fairly stable baseline of 20-30%, which may be acceptable if it stays there.
Although peaks of 70% (is the 100% a graph problem?) seem to be a reason
_for_ filtering.

Now what I'm wondering

(1) is there a need to carry all the deaggregates? Because if you are far
enough away they may "look the same as the aggregate". To use Iljitsch'
example ...

> I know this is controversial. "Topology ain't geography". Actually, most of
> the time there is a significant correlation. If all German cities inject a
> more specific, do you really need to hear those in Tokyo or Seattle? Just
> send the traffic to Europe as per the aggregate and let them figure it out
> there.

... it's likely that for an US ISP X, peering with European ISPs Y and Z who
carry the various deaggregate plus aggregate from Germany, all the European
prefixes have this peering router as next hop (let's say we have
next-hop-self).

What about BGP on this peering router doing some auto-aggregation in such a
case?  Has this been discussed?  It would avoid geographic communities and
would simply follow the BGP topology: if the deaggregates result in the same
forwarding information than the aggregate just keep the aggregate. Your
routing table would have deaggregates for your own region but only aggregates
for the other, more distant regions.

(2) the problem of ever-growing routing tables and de-aggregation is not new.
After so many years I'm wondering if the answer is that this cannot be solved
with BGP/routing alone (?)  Otherwise you would have found a solution
meanwhile :-)
And we have the - understandable and growing - needs of Enterprises, who
de-aggregate their PA addresses when they are LIR, or request PI addresses
per location.

Combining this, should the de-aggregation step not be done with a different
technology? LISP comes to my mind (biased, as I'm working on it) or in
general a "de-aggregation overlay". The overlay would need gateways to the
BGP world and would announce one aggregate prefix only while the de-aggregate
prefixes would be limited to the particular Enterprise overlay network and
would not show up in BGP.

Regards, Marc