Re: [v6ops] PMTUD issue discussion

joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> Mon, 25 August 2014 21:13 UTC

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 14:13:05 -0700
From: joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
To: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>, IPv6 Ops WG <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] PMTUD issue discussion

On 8/25/14 1:49 PM, Joe Touch wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> Speaking from TCPM-land, I would observe the following:
>
> - PMTUD already has many known problems, which is why PLMTUD is
> recommended instead

I agree, operationally however I'm trying not to break existing devices
attempting to connect to me, is the motivation for the note.

> - the issue here appears to be a device that routes TCP and UDP packets
> based on a hash, but does not apply that hash to the ICMP messages
>     that's clearly an oversight of those devices.
>     ICMP feedback is a known part of the Internet architecture,
>     and any device that demultiplexes packets based on transport
>     info needs to similarly process ICMP messages

If you use source / dest / flow label or even just source / dest you
have the same issue. e.g. using the transport header for hash
computation is not required to induce this.

>     that goes for NATs, load balancers, or anything else.

This requires that I not only be transport aware but be able to parse
into the payload. As noted, the data I would need can probably be found
at a fixed offset (modula extension headers) so in fact that  is
probably feasible.

> I'm not sure what would be added other than to say "we found this
> problem here too". It's a bug that ought to be fixed, but endpoints that
> intend to be robust already know not to rely on ICMP.

I don't disagree with that sentiment.