Re: [v6ops] RFC 7278 on Extending an IPv6 /64 Prefix from a Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) Mobile Interface to a LAN Link

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Thu, 18 February 2016 11:22 UTC

To: Mark Smith <markzzzsmith@gmail.com>
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 12:22:09 +0100
Cc: v6ops list <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] RFC 7278 on Extending an IPv6 /64 Prefix from a Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) Mobile Interface to a LAN Link

Le 18/02/2016 10:50, Mark Smith a écrit :

> On 18 Feb 2016 7:40 PM, "Alexandre Petrescu"
> <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com <mailto:alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>>

>> Le 17/02/2016 20:56, Mark Smith a écrit :
>>>

>>> On 18 Feb 2016 2:26 AM, "Alexandre Petrescu"
>>> <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
> <mailto:alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com
> <mailto:alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>>>

>>> address from the 64share prefix (a global address).
>>>>

>>> Are you sure about that?
>>

>> YEs.  In the UE the address of the default router is an address
>> prefixed by the same prefix as the prefix that the UE believes is
>> for self (the 64share prefix).
>>
>> The default router address is not a link-local address (it's a
>> GUA), although it could have been LL in theory.
>>

> And in practice. Route next hops are supposed to be LLs except in
> some BGP cases.

I agree that route next hops are better LLs (or ULAs) in order to save
addressing space.  I think there is a draft about this.

> Share64 is based on the premise that the whole /64 is routed to the
> UE.

Yes.

> I don't know a lot about the 3GPP specs, but I presume that is what
> they say is to happen.
>
> I think the fundamental issue is that the 3GPP people decided to
> treat a smartphone as special, and came up with their own ways of
> doing IPv6 on them, rather than just treating the phone as nothing
> more than a host with a point to point link to the network, and then
> just writing an IPv6 over 3GPP link RFC, and therefore supporting
> standard IPv6 methods for ND, RAs, DHCPV6-PD etc. over that 3GPP
> link.
>
> So whatever appears in share64 is a work around to the
> non-conventional model they chose. It's going to have caveats and
> limitations because it isn't conventional. If somebody does something
> even more unconventional that 3GPP specs for IPv6, like a GUA router
> addresses rather than an LL (which they'd have if they were using
> RAs, because that is what the RA RFC says must be used) then share64
> probably won't work either.

I can agree.

It is even worse because we can't make definitive statements whether it
will work or not.  We dont know.  In some cases the random number
generators of IP-over-USB implementations may collide with the ppp
Interface ID generators on the cellular SGSN and this may lead to
disconnections of the devices behind the UE (in the moving network) or
of the UE altogether.

Alex