Re: [v6ops] A broken promise - "You said PD Prefix Valid Lifetime is going to be X" (Re: SLAAC renum: Problem Statement & Operational workarounds)

Ole Troan <otroan@employees.org> Fri, 01 November 2019 11:16 UTC

From: Ole Troan <otroan@employees.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2019 12:15:56 +0100
Cc: Philip Homburg <pch-v6ops-9@u-1.phicoh.com>, v6ops@ietf.org
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] A broken promise - "You said PD Prefix Valid Lifetime is going to be X" (Re: SLAAC renum: Problem Statement & Operational workarounds)

Ted,

>> There’s really little value in having both valid and preferred lifetimes in PD.
>
> Ole, I think argument from authority isn’t very useful here.   I can imagine that you might think this, but…
>
> Suppose I want to renumber a customer.   And I have one tool with which to do this: DHCP.   What is the correct behavior?   There are options:
>
> 1: just stop renewing the old prefix, but continue to route it
> 2: provide two prefixes, one with a preferred lifetime of zero, the other with a nonzero preferred lifetime; continue to route both until the valid lifetime on the deprecated prefix expires, at which point stop routing that prefix.
> 3: stop renewing the old prefix, and don’t route it.
>
> I think that (1) is valid, and is what we would expect, but there is a problem: how does the infrastructure know that that prefix should continue to be routed?   It’s not seeing renewal traffic, and I think that’s how it knows currently.   Maybe it does DHCP leasequery?   If so, then does the DHCP server know the prefix is still valid?   I hope so.   It would be bad if the DHCP server gave out that prefix before it had expired.
>
> (2) seems valid, and I think is correct behavior, but there’s been some theorizing on the DHC wg mailing list (and here, a bit) that some CPE devices might not be expecting this behavior, and might choke on it.
>
> (3) This is a flash renumbering scenario.
>
> Now, I think what you just said was that none of these scenarios are valid, because the ISP should never renumber the customer.   Is that correct?

Neither of your options have IETF consensus behind them. DHCP PD supports renumbering, but it also says:

   "Many applications expect stable addresses.  Even though this
   mechanism makes automatic renumbering easier, it is expected that
   prefixes have a long lifespan.  During renumbering it is expected
   that the old and the new prefix co-exist for some time."

RFC4192 is as far as I know the most complete graceful renumbering description.

To continue my example:

(4) Continue to delegate prefix A with a lifetime expiring on November 11. On November 4th start also delegating prefix B with a lifetime expiring December 31st 2022.
    On November 11th, stop advertising prefix A.

This is how IPv6 renumbering has been specified for 20 years... I presume that was not news?

Cheers,
Ole