Re: [v6ops] Sunset4 gap analysis: rfc6555bis, ipv6rtr-reqs, rfc7084-bis

"STARK, BARBARA H" <bs7652@att.com> Wed, 16 August 2017 21:33 UTC

From: "STARK, BARBARA H" <bs7652@att.com>
To: "jordi.palet@consulintel.es" <jordi.palet@consulintel.es>, "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 21:32:19 +0000
x-originating-ip: [130.10.235.185]
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Sunset4 gap analysis: rfc6555bis, ipv6rtr-reqs, rfc7084-bis

Inline...
Barbara

> draft-ietf-sunset4-gapanalysis-09, problems 1-5, refer to the case when IPv4
> is no longer available.

Yes: Not available (through any means) on the WAN. But still used on the LAN.

> So, if RFC7084 is an IPv6 only-CE (even if the CE can have an IPv4 stack), then
> we have those problems when there is no IPv4 connectivity.

Yes: We will have the described problems if there is no IPv4 available on the WAN (through any means).

> If the IPv6-CE supports transition, then you never have those problems,
> because the goal of the transition support is precisely to avoid them. It is not
> a matter of IPv4 in the WAN. You can have IPv6-only WAN, but transition can
> resolve that.
>
> Or I’m missing anything in your opinion?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all the described mechanisms require a correlated capability in the WAN. Just because a CE router supports all of these doesn't mean any of them necessarily exist in the WAN, or that configuration of any of them via DHCPv6 is supported by the ISP (WAN may have capability but requires manual CE Router config which many end users won't know how to do). So I think support in the CE Router, by itself, is insufficient to ensure IPv4 WAN availability. Therefore, even if a CE Router supports all of these, it is still possible for there to be no IPv4 WAN connection. IMO, CE Router requirements that explicitly target IPv6-only operation would be a very logical place to include requirements for "what to do when there is no IPv4 in the WAN".

> The problem here, in my opinion is that in the actual RFC7084 you “allow” the
> support of IPv4, so is in that case when, if there is no transition support, the
> problems 1-5 may be presented in the LANs.
>
> So, one alternative is again considering my proposal of making an RFC7084
> with is “really” only-IPv6 (removing ALL the IPv4 support in that document),
> and then it make sense to have other documents with the transition support,
> etc., and then finding the right one for resolving the problems above.

Because of the existence of the CE Router IPv6 Ready certification program, the many references to RFC 7084 made by external orgs, etc. I continue to be opposed to changing it. That would almost certainly cause confusion, and is unnecessary. Requirements related to IPv6-only WAN connections (with or without the WAN supporting configuration or termination of an IPv4 tunneling mechanism) can all logically go in a single new doc.

> Actually, some of the problems, in my opinion, can be resolved just in the OS,
> but is not a matter here to discuss one by one. For example, problem 1,
> some OS may believe there is only “Internet” if there is a DHCP server
> responding, even if they have IPv6 connectivity, etc., but this can be sorted
> out in the actual RFC7084 if there is IPv4 stack, and there is no transition
> support and there is not IPv4 support, by making sure that the DHCPv4
> server in the CE is not turned on in that case …

That's a bad idea. I expect my home network to operate in the absence of any and all WAN IP connections. I refuse to buy (or sell or recommend) a CE router that does not continue to operate its DHCPv4 server in the absence of IPv4 WAN connectivity. Also, I disagree with putting any LAN-side IPv4 protocol requirements into a 7084bis.