Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6rtr-reqs-04: Enabling DHCPv6 in the enterprise networks by default, if DHCPv6 is supported on the router

Owen DeLong <owen@delong.com> Wed, 05 September 2018 14:09 UTC

From: Owen DeLong <owen@delong.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2018 07:07:49 -0700
Cc: "STARK, BARBARA H" <bs7652@att.com>, Simon Hobson <linux@thehobsons.co.uk>, "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
To: "Mudric, Dusan (Dusan)" <dmudric@avaya.com>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6rtr-reqs-04: Enabling DHCPv6 in the enterprise networks by default, if DHCPv6 is supported on the router

You are continuing to confuse implementation and operation requirements. You are also ignoring reality...

There’s no way for a router to know whether it is deployed in an enterprise environment or not at time of manufacture.

Further, I don’t believe for one second that ALL enterprises will require or use DHCPv6. Perhaps most, but certainly not all.

The current situation is that implementation of DHCPv6 in the protocol stack on ANY device is optional. There is a proposal to make it mandatory on routers only. There is no proposal that I know of to make it mandatory on hosts. Any such proposal would be a major change to IPv6 architecture that I am certain would face substantial opposition.

Therefore there is no conflict between the ID you referenced and the RFC you referenced. Your proposed change to the RFC would be nonsensical absent an across the board requirement for DHCPv6 implementation in all protocol stacks. That’s not likely to happen, nor is DHCPv6 support in Android based phones.

Since a router can’t know at manufacture time whether it is deployed in an enterprise or not, and since it is not universally true that enterprises will want DHCPv6, it is impossible to set M and O defaults in the manner you propose.

The good news is that it’s also utterly unnecessary to do so.

Owen