Re: [v6ops] draft-moreiras-v6ops-rfc3849bis-00

Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org> Mon, 12 August 2013 03:00 UTC

To: "Antonio M. Moreiras" <moreiras@nic.br>
From: Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:53:42 +1000
Cc: Alejandro Acosta <aacosta@rocketmail.com>, v6ops@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-moreiras-v6ops-rfc3849bis-00

In message <52084137.3000602@nic.br>, "Antonio M. Moreiras" writes:
> On 11/08/13 21:27, Mark Andrews wrote:
> >> e same time.

> >> ng that use
> >>
> >> I agree. An organization could generate an ULA prefix specifically to
> >> use in a course, or document. But it could be copied and used in
> >> production environments. This would break the "global uniqueness", and
> >> could lead to other problems.
> >
> > FUD.
> >
> > You either do the correct thing and generate your own prefix or you
> > don't and copy one and hope that no one else has copied it that you
> > are connecting to.  Having a reserved prefix will not help you here.
>
> I can agree with you, in parts.
>
> We should expect that people generate their own ULA prefix, following
> RFC 4193.
>
> But can we count on that? I think that one of the points in having
> documentation prefixes it's because they can be filtered "in advance" in
> our networks. So if an intern, a trainee, or a newbie just copy the
> configs from a howto document, and manages to put it in our production
> environment, we will be safe.
>
> So, let's suppose that you write a brilliant book, or howto, about how
> to use ULA addresses in some kind of application for a corporate
> network. Let's suppose that you generate your own ULA for your document.
> Your prefix may be copied and implemented in hundreds, maybe thousands
> of networks.
>
> It isn't a big problem, because ULA is for private use. But if two of
> these companies merge, or have some kind of private agreement and want
> to connect their networks and make their ULA blocks reachable, it would
> be a problem... Ok, it is a big if.

Then both of the companies had to be stupid and they need to renumber
one or both of the networks as part of the merger.  This is a cost
of being clueless.  Having a reserved prefix does not help with
this sort of cluelessness.  It just makes it worse.

> But, what would be the downside of having an ULA prefix reserved for
> documentation?

Because it actually makes the clueless problem worse.

> If the local filters are updated and block this prefix, when a newbie
> try to copy your example and put it to work, it will not work. He will
> realize that he is doing something wrong, and maybe he can learn how he
> can use ULA addresses in the right way.

You should be filtering all of fc00::/7 anyway at the border / bgp
feeds anyway.  When you merge you add exceptions.

Locally assigned ULA are not the same as global addresses.  The do
not have the same security properties as GUA.  You have to assume
that the sites you connect to will have choosen the same prefix as
you have choosen as there is no one co-ordinating things.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@isc.org