Re: [v6ops] new draft: draft-ietf-v6ops-6204bis

Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net> Sat, 22 October 2011 07:46 UTC

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 09:46:18 +0200
From: Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net>
To: "v6ops@ietf.org WG" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] new draft: draft-ietf-v6ops-6204bis

Following all IMVHO and not directed at any particular participant.

I have been attempting to follow this discussion, as well as Homenet.

After reading many documents including: RFC6092, RFC6333,
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chown-homenet-arch-00, all the other
Homenet discussion emails,
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pcp-base-16,
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-6204bis-01

I have to admit I simply just don't get the big picture of how these
will stack up operationally.

It seems to me that there are still many implicit assumptions being made
that there's a nice neat stack of boxes connected together in a
particular order, carrying out particular functions, and which isn't
actually explicitly documented anywhere in a consistent manner

e.g.

one end user device - one CPE (owned by the ISP or the home user,
running IPv6 firewall and IPv4 NAT+firewall) - transparent internet

one end user device - one CPE (owned by the ISP running IPv6 firewall +
DS Lite) - one AFTR running CGN for IPv4

one end user device - one CPE (owned by the end user running IPv6
firewall + DS Lite) - one AFTR running CGN
[the end user device then has to comply with all of the ISP's demands
for DS-Lite and all other items in 6204bis]

So for example, an assumption is made that there'll never be double
NATv4. Well I already have double NATv4 *within* my homenet. And I can't
turn it off.

I just don't see anyone addressing the practical management problem that:

i) the ISP has a bunch of stuff and demands and things to configure
(like DS-Lite, PPPoA, login passwords) that are highly technical, and
are very ISP network infrastructure focused.

ii) the home user has a bunch of stuff and demands and things to
configure (like the wireless ID, print serving, music serving) that are
non-technical and very personal.

I find it extremely unlikely that an end user is going to be able to
configure stuff like DS-Lite.
I find it extremely unlikely that an ISP is going to want to manage a
music server and routed WiFi networks in the home.

As such I find it extremely likely that there are going to be a minimum
of two (virtual) CPE's. One owned by the ISP and one by the home user.
And that these devices will have to have the correct functions enabled.

I can't find a protocol anywhere that allows an end node or CPE router
to discover the real topology stack of NAT box(es) or firewalls(s).

As such I don't see how a typical end node or other PCP client has any
idea which PCP server to instruct to open or disable what.

Seems to me you need some sort of firewall and NAT discovery protocol,
or you define that PCP requests should be sent from an end node / PCP
client to the default next hop router and you then have to hope that it
has up to date code and acts as a proxy to find the correct devices to
instruct, or you come up with a definitive service stack of which box
performs which function and exactly where in the Internet topology, or
you can expect a lot of calls to the ISP service desks.

With all due respect, I realize of course that ISP's have vast amounts
of their own operational experience, but perhaps they've been rather
blinded by NATv4, so that they could potentially learn from the
principles enterprises apply to their inter-connections (also learned
through bitter operational experience), where interfaces between
management domains typically:
- have clear management domain boundaries and service delivery point
interfaces
- are protected and managed using secure protocols such as SSH
- generally run vanilla native protocols over a point-to-point x-over
cable running fixed-speed fixed-duplex Ethernet at the trust boundary /
service demarcation point
- are statically routed bi-directionally, or use NAT for return routing,
or communicate via a single, agreed, heavily filtered, routing protocol
e.g. BGP or OSPF
- rarely, if ever, are complex technology interfaces split across
multiple management parties, especially if using technology such as
serial links, tunnels, encryption, ATM, PPPoA, PPPoE etc.
- if you've got a special need beyond a vanilla requirement, you provide
your own box with your own management.
- security functions run on devices owned and managed by the person who
requires the security.
- transport networks are transparent and should not mix in any other
functionality (except in a symmetrical manner e.g. tunnel in / tunnel
out, or compression in / decompression out, from the same management
provider).

I'm afraid that I can't find many of these principles being applied to
the current set of documents around 6204bis/ PCP/ DS-Lite, unless of
course you assume that there's one, and only one, CPE router (which is
not in line with the Homenet architecture and discussions).

regards,
RayH