[v6ops] Multicast problem in IPv6 address management

Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com> Wed, 12 August 2020 10:49 UTC

From: Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com>
To: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert=40cisco.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
CC: "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>, IPv6 List <ipv6@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 10:49:22 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.204.11]
Subject: [v6ops] Multicast problem in IPv6 address management

Hi all,
This dispute is about: Should we assume that Multicast is the basic technology available on any L2? Should we rely fundamental mechanisms on Multicast?

Statista tells us that 9B mobile connections this year.
3GPP have effectively discarded Multicast (RFC 7849), because they have personal GTP tunnel for every subscriber. 3GPP have solved the problem limiting IP topology to P2P only.
Underlay is not IP between Terminal and Base Station – no chicken and egg problem (no need for IP underlay address on smartphone to start PDCP).
As a result: There is no multicast problem in Mobile.

Statista tells us that 18B WiFi connections this year (22B next year).
Multicast snooping is formally supported by majority of WiFi vendors. But Wireless have natural restrictions on multicast:

1.      Loss probability is much high (especially on overloaded) – protocols should guaranty delivery, that is partially supported by SLAAC: NS would be sent many times if NA is not received, but RA would not be retransmitted

2.      It should be transmitted with lowest effectiveness (worst bandwidth and modulation from all registered clients) – some bandwidth is wasted

3.      Handover requirement did push admins to keep broadcast domain big – it is the primary reason why you could still see huge number of announcements per second (for old installations). One AP is not so powerful to connect more than a few dozens of clients anyway, but many APs connected to the same VLAN – it is very different story. You could not just say: “keep broadcast domain small”, because would be immediate question “what is the easy way to preserve IP address on handover between APs?”.
Modern Wireless WiFi Controller could split big broadcast domain on independent AP domains and play stateful proxy – it would limit number of multicast messages per one AP band – it should resolve 2k multicasts per second problem.
Stateful proxy for Stateless protocol (SLAAC) - looks like not good architecture decision, looks like work-around, but not much choice left.
We are close to the situation that WiFi would resolve multicast problems by itself. Especially at times when WiFi is becoming faster and faster (1G->10G).
It is not mandatory to help WiFi – they would survive by themselves, they would find proper set of work-arounds.
The final point could be to move to Overlay completely and put SLAAC in P2P topology (like 3GPP) – proxy everything on AP/Controller. Degenerate case would work perfectly fine, host would not spot any difference.

There is a well-known story about 50B of IoT devices that additionally to WiFi problems would have: (1) low power, (2) sleeping mode, (3) low bandwidth,
Where multicast just not a question that make sense to discuss in principle.

One important question that was not touched here yet: is multicast a something that is needed only for internal network operation or is it important for end user services too?
Unfortunately the answer is negative.
Primary multicast application (any media: video or audio) is moving away from “broadcast mode” to “personalized user stream”, even Carriers have migrated from IPTV STB (multicast) to OTT STB (unicast).
It is not because of technology, users prefer personalized content more and more.
Multicast is becoming something that is demanded primarily by technical geeks for their toys. It is less and less a business requirement.

Eduard