Re: [v6ops] DHCPv6/SLAAC Make Hosts Confusing-//RE: new draft: draft-liu-bonica-v6ops-dhcpv6-slaac-problem

"Weil, Jason" <jason.weil@twcable.com> Tue, 29 October 2013 14:50 UTC

From: "Weil, Jason" <jason.weil@twcable.com>
To: "Liubing (Leo)" <leo.liubing@huawei.com>, Wuyts Carl <Carl.Wuyts@technicolor.com>, "sthaug@nethelp.no" <sthaug@nethelp.no>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 10:44:14 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>, "otroan@cisco.com" <otroan@cisco.com>, "draft-liu-bonica-v6ops-dhcpv6-slaac-problem@tools.ietf.org" <draft-liu-bonica-v6ops-dhcpv6-slaac-problem@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] DHCPv6/SLAAC Make Hosts Confusing-//RE: new draft: draft-liu-bonica-v6ops-dhcpv6-slaac-problem

Leo,

First I wanted to say this is useful work and I support it.

This topic in this email reminds me of an issue that we have run across
that might be relevant to your draft:

The use case involves a home network whose gateway router sets M=1 and A=1
in order to provide DHC and and SLAAC for hosts that do not implement a
DHC client. If the DHCPv6 Server is implementing IP assignment using
interface-identifier and using the same prefix as advertised in the PIO
(assuming the server resides on the router advertising the PIO) with the A
bit set, hosts that support SLAAC and a DHCPv6 client could construct the
same address using DHC as the one they construct using SLAAC. What is not
clear is what hosts should do in this situation. IMO, there is a benefit
if hosts that support both SLAAC and DHCPv6 construct the address and
prefer the DHC address over the SLAAC address. The benefit is that you
reduce the number of active addresses and all hosts end up with a single
address per prefix administered in this fashion.

Of course if your DHC Server implements another assignment algorithm (e.g.
Random) then your hosts that support both may end up with 2 addresses out
of the same prefix.

Thanks,

Jason