Re: [v6ops] Planning for IETF #90

Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net> Fri, 04 July 2014 05:43 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 07:43:29 +0200
From: Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net>
To: "Fred Baker (fred)" <fred@cisco.com>
Cc: V6 Ops List <v6ops@ietf.org>, "Ata, Shingo (ata@info.eng.osaka-cu.ac.jp)" <ata@info.eng.osaka-cu.ac.jp>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Planning for IETF #90

Fred Baker (fred) wrote:
> v6ops:
>
> Kitamura-san has posted draft-kitamura-ipv6-zoneid-free, and would like operational views on it. He has also requested agenda time at IETF 90. I suspect it may be more suited for 6man, but 6man isn’t meeting. Would you kindly take a look and comment?
>
> If there is operational interest, we can give him a slot.
>
> Fred
>
> On Jul 3, 2014, at 1:47 AM, Hiroshi Kitamura <kitamura@da.jp.nec.com> wrote:
>> Dear co-chairs of v6ops WG,
>>
>> We have submitted a I-D:
>>  "Free from Using Zone Identifier for IPv6 Link-Local Address"
>>  <draft-kitamura-ipv6-zoneid-free-03.txt>
>>
>> I quote the I-D Announce mail at the end of this mail.
>>
>> This idea "Zone-ID Free" is simple and harmless to the current system.
>> We think this idea helps many people who face problems on Zone-ID.
>>
>> So, could you give us a presentation time at 90th Toronto meeting, please?
>>

>> - title and file name of the draft
>>
>>  "Free from Using Zone Identifier for IPv6 Link-Local Address"
>>  <draft-kitamura-ipv6-zoneid-free-03.txt>
>>
>> - speakers name and email
>>
>>  Hiroshi KITAMURA
>>  kitamura@da.jp.nec.com
>>
>> - how much time
>>
>>  10 min.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Hiroshi

I recognize the issues detailed in this draft and feel that it is well
written.

2 comments:

1) IMHO The security considerations are incomplete.

Zone-ID free operations appears to assume security equivalence and
operational equivalence between all interfaces on a device.

two cases come to mind for the probes created in Section 4.2.
i) ping6 <Link-Local_Address_B> on a node with an IPv6 interface to a
telco e.g. LTE may incur significant charges, especially when roaming
ii) users definitely don't want security equivalence in firewall nodes
or other devices that enforce network security zoning

2) quote "When receiving Link-Local packets, there are no difficulties.
Zone-ID (interface) is easily and naturally identified from interface
that is used by received packets."

The assumption is made that identifying the zone-ID of inbound traffic
is trivial (as it can be identified by the arrival interface)
IMHO That is very much implementation dependent whether the physical
arrival interface is preserved to upper layers.

Where is it defined that a node should enforce that the arrival
interface of a link-link packet is preserved (and replies should only be
sent on that same interface)?

Is there's a potential security / operational consideration in that a
link local source address could be spoofed from another interface, and
replies would be sent out via a different interface, violating the fact
that a link-local address should be local to a link?

Maybe it should be made clearer that ND probes (section 4.2) should only
be sent when initiating new outbound communication from this node, and
not when replying to inbound queries?

And also recommend that nodes should enforce tying a link-local source
address to a physical interface?

Thank you.

--
Regards,