Re: [v6ops] draft-palet-v6ops-nat64-deployment discussion

Lencse Gábor <lencse@hit.bme.hu> Mon, 28 May 2018 19:14 UTC

From: Lencse Gábor <lencse@hit.bme.hu>
To: v6ops@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 21:14:16 +0200
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-palet-v6ops-nat64-deployment discussion

Dear Jordi,

I would not say that anything is missing, but perhaps including some of
our results about DNS64 would strengthen your draft. More specifically,
I would suggest the following ones.

You wrote in Section 2:

    [...] So, the recursive name server actually
    lie to the client device, however in most of the cases, the client
    will not notice it, because generally they don't perform validation
    themselves as instead rely on their recursive name servers.

    If the client device performs DNSSEC validation on the AAAA record,
    it will fail as it is a synthesized record.

Here you may want to add something like:

The best possible scenario from DNSSEC point of view is when the client
requests the DNS64 server to perform the DNSSEC validation (by setting
the DO bit to 1 and the CD bit to 0). In this case, the DNS64 server
validates the data thus tampering may only happen inside the DNS64
server (which is considered as a trusted part, thus its likelihood is
low) or between the DNS64 server and the client; all other parts of the
system (including transmission and caching) are protected by DNSSEC. [1]

And just one nit. You wrote in at the end of Section 2:

    [...] Previous data seems to indicate, that
    the figures of DNSSEC broken by using DNS64 will be around 1.7%
    (information 2 years old).

It would be worth mentioning the source of this information. I think it
is [2]. (We have taken the same information from there.)

IMHO, the 100%-1.7%=98.3% of the domains with no DNSSEC also deserve
some discussion. We have performed the threat analysis of a system,
which uses DNS64 [1]. From the many identified threats, cache poisoning
is perhaps the most important one. It was a hot issue about 10 years ago
[3]. Fortunately, the major DNS servers implemented the countermeasures
against cache poisoning recommended by RFC 5452. We have also confirmed
it regarding BIND, PowerDNS and Unbound [1].

I think the readers of the future RFC would benefit from benchmarking
results of different NAT64 implementations. We are planning to compare
the performances of the following ones:
- OpenBSD PF
- TAYGA+iptables
- Jool
- Ecdysis
We are going to start their stateless tests according to the dual DUT
setup of RFC 8219 using an RFC 2544 compliant tester in June.
We are also planning to benchmark them  according to the single DUT
setup of RFC 8219, but we need to wait for implementation of the Tester.
(Unfortunately, I have no guarantee, when it will be ready, as it is
done by one of my PhD students.)

What is the planned time frame of your draft?

I hope that our DNS64 server benchmarking results of BIND, PowerDNS and
Unbound published in [4] may also be useful. (Perhaps the main
performance numbers, the different scale up behaviors and the
performance problem of BIND would be worth mentioning.)

And the references are:

[1] G. Lencse and Y. Kadobayashi, "Methodology for the identification of
potential security issues of different IPv6 transition technologies:
Threat analysis of DNS64 and stateful NAT64", /Computers & Security/
(Elsevier), vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 397-411, September 1, 2018, DOI:
10.1016/j.cose.2018.04.012

[2] J. Linkova, "Let’s talk about IPv6 DNS64 & DNSSEC", APNIC Blog
(2016). https://blog.apnic.net/2016/06/09/lets-talk-ipv6-dns64-dnssec/

[3] CERT, “Multiple DNS implementations vulnerable to cache poisoning”,
Vulnerability Note VU#800113 [Online].
Available: http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/800113

[4] G. Lencse and Y. Kadobayashi, "Benchmarking DNS64 Implementations:
Theory and Practice", /Computer Communications/ (Elsevier), in press,
DOI: 10.1016/j.comcom.2018.05.005

So, what do you think of them?

And I would be happy to receive some feedback from various operators,
whether they can use our results. Or perhaps what else should we
measure, examine, analyze concerning the IPv6 transition technologies?

Best regards,

Gábor