Re: l2tp support on OS's Re: [v6tc] Re: Tunneling and Transition Drafts

Jeroen Massar <jeroen@unfix.org> Sat, 09 April 2005 10:54 UTC

Subject: Re: l2tp support on OS's Re: [v6tc] Re: Tunneling and Transition Drafts
From: Jeroen Massar <jeroen@unfix.org>
To: jordi.palet@consulintel.es
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 12:52:27 +0200
Cc: "v6tc@ietf.org" <v6tc@ietf.org>
Sender: v6tc-bounces@ietf.org

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 11:39 +0200, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
> I guess you forget:
> 1) Cellular phones, I don't think none of them support or even has plans for
> L2TP.
> 2) Lots of low cost CPEs.
>
> Both of this options represent also a big market share.

Too bad for the phone guys, they should then start hiring some real
folks or giving out free phones + a lot of minutes so people can
implement it for them. Not evening thinking of an SDK ;)

And be honest, you really are ssh'ing into boxes using a cellphone?
For that matter, I am already getting annoyed when the connectivity is
under 5mbit and I guess there are a lot of people doing that.
For that matter, I have seen people dialing into an ISP using their cell
phone as a modem, but never seen them *use* IPv6 using the thing.

The phones that get used for these toys, have some spicky new thing,
which costs a lot of money, which requires a lot of new hardware, which
also costs a lot of money, thus let the phone people implement native
IPv6.

Greets,
 Jeroen

PS: I think I can claim that the code runs, that is without CHAP auth
and no GUI etc yet, but that is not that hard to add.
Though only tested against l2tpd.org (which dns entry is removed from
the DNS servers it seems) LT2Pv2 implementation.
No Cisco or other devices around to test it against...