[v6tc] v6tc draft charter discussion

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> Fri, 12 November 2004 14:22 UTC

Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:06:54 +0200
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: v6tc@ietf.org
Subject: [v6tc] v6tc draft charter discussion
Sender: v6tc-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

(If folks don't mind, I'll try to ensure that the process is moving
forward until WG chair(s) is appointed or someone else steps up..)

Find below the v6tc draft charter which was discussed at the meeting.
I made two changes at this point:
  - shifted the first milestones forward a bit
  - tried to clarify point 1).  Note that this was just meant to say
that we would find a "rough approach" how to move forward (L2TP, an
existing tunnel server protocol, ...) -- not that we decide the actual
solution (detailed proposal) yet.  Does this make sense?
  - I removed the end-point discovery *solution* documents from the
input document list, because apparently that was causing confusion, as
people also wanted all the other solutions on that list.

Comments?  Suggestions? ....?

I think we should try to get the charter in a reasonable shape within
a week or so.

IPv6 Tunneling Configuration (v6tc) WG
======================================
[...] (On Internet Area)

Description of Working Group:

IPv6 Operations working group has identified and documented
IPv6 transition scenarios where the existing, standardized
solutions are not sufficient.

In particular, the solution for scenarios where an IPv6
connectivity provider is helping the customers to set up a
tunnel needs to be specified.

Work has already started in identifying the precise
goals/requirementsfor the solution.

The action items for the WG are:

  (1) Based on the input documents, gain rough consensus on at most
      *one* to-be-standardized approach to fit these goals.

  (2) Work on two components of the solution:
         a) method to discover the tunnel end-point; and
         b) the specification of the tunnel set-up protocol.

      Publish the results on Standards Track.

  (3) Document the goals and tradeoffs of analysis for 2)
      as Informational RFCs.

Any other tunneling mechanism or any other activity is out of the scope of
this very focused WG.

List of documents to be used as input to the WG:

http://www.v6ops.euro6ix.net/ietf/draft-suryanarayanan-v6ops-zeroconf-reqs-01.txt
draft-nielsen-v6ops-3GPP-zeroconf-goals-00.txt
draft-ietf-v6ops-assisted-tunneling-requirements-01.txt
draft-palet-v6ops-tun-auto-disc-02.txt

Goals and Milestones:

Nov 2004 Update the documents on goals/tradeoffs
Dec 2004 Gain consensus on the rough approach for the solution
Dec 2004 Get initial individual submissions for solutions
Feb 2005 Submit the solution as WG I-D
Jun 2005 WG last call on the solution document
Aug 2005 Submit the protocol specification to the IESG for Proposed Standard
Aug 2005 Submit the documents on goals/tradeoffs to the IESG
          for Informational RFCs
Sep 2005 Shut down or recharter