Re: [v6tc] Let the market decide or not: L2TP and/or TSP

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> Tue, 12 April 2005 14:43 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:39:35 +0300
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: Jerome Durand <jdurand@renater.fr>
Subject: Re: [v6tc] Let the market decide or not: L2TP and/or TSP
Cc: v6tc@ietf.org
Sender: v6tc-bounces@ietf.org

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Jerome Durand wrote:
>> IMHO, with an informational spec and deployed code, the market can already
>> decide between the two if it comes to that.
>
> I am not sure I understand the goal of "Informational" here if there are
> implementations behind? Shouldn't it be PS?

The point is that an Informational RFC can be produced quickly, with a
disclaimer like,

=====
IESG Note

This RFC is not a candidate for any level of Internet Standard.
The IETF disclaims any knowledge of the fitness of this RFC for
any purpose and notes that the decision to publish is not based on
IETF review apart from IESG review for conflict with IETF work.
The RFC Editor has chosen to publish this document at its
discretion.  See RFC 3932 for more information.
=====

in essence, such Informational RFCs don't get the official IETF "seal
of approval", thorough review, can be insecure, etc. -- but may be
sufficient to create interoperable implementations.

Proposed Standard has a much higher bar.. what's the point (if ISPs
want something today if not 3 years ago) if we spin a year or two
revising and maybe even making backwards-incompatible changes to the
spec?