Re: [VCARDDAV] Questions about text handling in vCard 4.0 (rev 11)

Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca> Tue, 06 July 2010 13:48 UTC

Return-Path: <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca>
X-Original-To: vcarddav@core3.amsl.com
Delivered-To: vcarddav@core3.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by core3.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 55ED73A691B for <vcarddav@core3.amsl.com>; Tue, 6 Jul 2010 06:48:09 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -0.555
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-0.555 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[AWL=0.555, BAYES_05=-1.11, NO_RELAYS=-0.001]
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([64.170.98.32]) by localhost (core3.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id f760DQbsVwQG for <vcarddav@core3.amsl.com>; Tue, 6 Jul 2010 06:48:08 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from jazz.viagenie.ca (jazz.viagenie.ca [IPv6:2620:0:230:8000::2]) by core3.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 458833A6838 for <vcarddav@ietf.org>; Tue, 6 Jul 2010 06:48:08 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from ringo.viagenie.ca (unknown [IPv6:2620:0:230:c000:b1db:5a25:9ab9:89d9]) by jazz.viagenie.ca (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id 46B5D20CC0; Tue, 6 Jul 2010 09:48:09 -0400 (EDT)
Message-ID: <4C3333A4.4000307@viagenie.ca>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 09:46:12 -0400
From: Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.1.9) Gecko/20100430 Fedora/3.0.4-2.fc12 Thunderbird/3.0.4
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: Daisuke Miyakawa <d.miyakawa@gmail.com>
References: <AANLkTik6O1nZvjdDRn1bdGb20xKbWJApIsnwfTJ8BbRa@mail.gmail.com> <4C31CF6B.9050500@viagenie.ca> <AANLkTimt74eL5nCfDFK2QgHggyL9qONlqAUDOWKjan-l@mail.gmail.com> <4C31DA5F.6030906@viagenie.ca> <AANLkTin2KEkx8wphdHhdQj2H9sY0VjR85JTsRjc7rJWr@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <AANLkTin2KEkx8wphdHhdQj2H9sY0VjR85JTsRjc7rJWr@mail.gmail.com>
X-Enigmail-Version: 1.0.1
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-2022-JP"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Cc: vcarddav@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] Questions about text handling in vCard 4.0 (rev 11)
X-BeenThere: vcarddav@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.9
Precedence: list
List-Id: IETF vcarddav wg mailing list <vcarddav.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav>, <mailto:vcarddav-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vcarddav>
List-Post: <mailto:vcarddav@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:vcarddav-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav>, <mailto:vcarddav-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 13:48:09 -0000

On 2010-07-06 00:53, Daisuke Miyakawa wrote:
>     Can you please suggest text for what you have in mind? Probably a
>     sentence or two to be added at the end of 3.3...?
> 
> Here's an arbitrary example.

I meant text that we should add to the vCard 4 specification and that
would address your concern...

> The problem here is we cannot estimate potential Unicode which harm
> actual readability/edit-ability/xxx-ability caused by receiver/editor
> side's limitation. Even readability is part of my concern.

What we're talking about here is how Unicode characters get encoded in
vCard. The current method is to encode them as-is. You are suggesting to
use \xNNNN, and your argument is readability. I think this argument is
weak because:

- Unicode characters may actually be *more* readable than \xNNNN notation.
- Do we really care about readability of vCard data that is going to be
displayed exactly the same to the user regardless of the encoding?

> Another example: a final fallback method users will use during reading
> and editing vCard would be just opening the file and editing it
> manually. Then how can they edit unknown characters like Chinese,
> Japanese, Korean, V...?

I don't see a problem. What do you mean by "unknown"? I can just use vi
on any UTF-8 file and edit it without any difficulty. One can do the
same with Microsoft Word or any other editor that understands UTF-8 I
would assume.

Simon
-- 
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0               --> http://www.vcarddav.org