Re: [VCARDDAV] ietf78 Maastricht meeting notes

Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca> Wed, 28 July 2010 13:01 UTC

Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:01:22 +0200
From: Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca>
To: vcarddav@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] ietf78 Maastricht meeting notes

Florian Zeitz wrote, on 07/28/2010 02:42 PM:
>> - PID and LANGUAGE parameter:
>>          Proposal - put the "language grouping" inside the LANGUAGE
>> parameter value rather than overload the PID. Make cardinality
>> independent of PID. Concensus in the room to implement the proposal.
> I don't really understand this. IMHO this is not overloading the PID parameter.
> It is meant to uniquely identify a property, different language versions are
> logically the same property therefore should have the same PID. I didn't really
> catch a compelling reason to change this and it seems to me it only complicates
> parsing. It would be great if someone could clarify this decision for me.

PIDs are for synchronization. Here's a use case: you have a vCard translated in
25 languages, and you add a 26th translation. Should you synchronize only the
new data or all of the vCard? With the same PID for every language, you will
synchronize everything.

>> 3. vcardxml wglc comments (Perreault)
>>    draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardxml
>>
>> WGLC done. Issues fixed.
>> Recent suggestion to map LANGUAGE parameter to xml:lang - no consensus
>> to use xml:lang.
> So, what I grasped is that the consensus was "nice to have for XML folks, but
> not worth the special casing".
> I suggested it, so of course I'm really biased, but personally the nice to have
> outweighs the special casing for me. It shouldn't be a lot of hassle to add an
> extra attribute while adding the LANGUAGE parameter and it would allow for
> constistency in environments where xml:lang is being used (e.g. I'm thinking of
> embedding vCards in XMPP where the stream and body tags usually have xml:lang
> specified).

Two problems with xml:lang:
1. Special case, unlike other parameters.
2. Current XML libraries treat xml:lang specially and differently.

Simon
--
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server        --> http://numb.viagenie.ca