Re: [VCARDDAV] Late comments on 'device' KIND

Joe Marcus Clarke <jclarke@cisco.com> Sun, 23 September 2012 20:24 UTC

Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 16:24:17 -0400
From: Joe Marcus Clarke <jclarke@cisco.com>
To: Peter Sheerin <Peter@PetesGuide.com>
Cc: vcarddav@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] Late comments on 'device' KIND

On 9/23/12 11:22 AM, Peter Sheerin wrote:
> I apologize in advance for stirring the pot at this late date, but I’d
> like to make sure this becomes a very capable and widely used part of
> vCard, and I feel the current draft is missing significant elements
> needed for such success.

I will reply up here to try and present an alternate concept behind this
draft.  First, let me say, I love where your head is, as we have a
number of similar ideas.  However, we wanted to model this draft after
KIND:application.  We only want to define the KIND value here.  The use
cases and more specifics as to exactly what will be in a device-level
vCard come after this.  Our intention is to continue down this track of
thinking, though, and flesh out those over normative items.

What we want to do next is, as you say, tighten the vCard with those
properties that must be in every device-level vCard.  As such, we will
likely be defining some new organizational properties.

> At a high-level, I feel it is under-specified and lacking clear
> definitions of use cases that would inform more consistent usage and
> interaction with devices.
>
> First, I believe the standard should include XML, binary XML, plain-text
> (normal vCard), and potentially JSON encodings, with examples of each,
> as each of these will have a use. In particular, binary XML and JSON are
> the two most likely data formats to be used in the IETF’s CoAP
> specification, currently being developed to support the Internet of
> Things, and plain-text device cards are likely to be needed for
> interoperability purposes on larger devices, and at a minimum for
> exchange. (CoAP is one of the protocols being promoted by the IPSO
> Alliance, which organized itself as a marketing body for IEEE and IETF
> IoT standards.)

Again, we went after the KIND:application here.  I don't think it's
vital for this draft to include a number of example formats (though that
will likely happen in the subsequent drafts).

I'll let others chime in, but I don't think we want to overload this
draft with additional normative definitions.

Joe