Re: [VCARDDAV] I-D Action:draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-15.txt

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> Thu, 16 December 2010 05:46 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 22:48:11 -0700
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
To: =?UTF-8?B?VGFudGVrIMOHZWxpaw==?= <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Cc: vcarddav@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] I-D Action:draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-15.txt

Hi Tantek, thanks for the feedback.

On 12/15/10 8:31 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:

> One particularly important feature change that I wanted to comment on
> without delay however is the adoption of the new GENDER property.
>
> GENDER
>
> While I certainly applaud the increasing of flexibility from an enum
> to plain text field, I'd like to please ask the group to consider
> adopting the GENDER property as originally proposed with two
> components, a sex enum (M(ale),F(emale),N(one),O(ther),U(nknown)) and
> a plain text gender identity label. Both of these are necessary for
> supporting flexibility for human diversity and for representing
> existing publishing practices and gender specific search user
> interfaces.
>
> The two component GENDER property proposal was met with approval by
> Kevin Marks and Sarah Dopp:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vcarddav/current/msg01784.html
>
> And as a result I had presumed there was at least weak consensus in
> the group on this specific proposal since there were no objections and
> no further messages on that thread. I must admit I was a little
> surprised to see a single component GENDER property instead (I am
> assuming this was simply a minor oversight rather than an explicit
> decision).
>
> I am more than happy to contribute specification text if necessary.
> I've iterated a bit more here:
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/VCard4-draft-13-review#GENDER

The meeting notes said:

  - Resolution: Rename SEX to GENDER. Change values to (male, female,
  <free-form text>). IANA registry for additional values that could be
  reserved.

If I recall correctly, the idea was that free-form text would be
allowed, such as:

   GENDER:VALUE=text:Fellow

Instead of:

   GENDER:male

People could also register well-known values, such as:

   GENDER:queer

You seem to be proposing that the free-form text would supplement one of
the defined values (or no value at all). Correct? I just want to make
sure that I understand the proposal.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre