Re: Rptr MIB Edits - Issue 5

Karen Kimball <karenk@hprnlkk.rose.hp.com> Thu, 15 May 1997 21:45 UTC

From: Karen Kimball <karenk@hprnlkk.rose.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Rptr MIB Edits - Issue 5
To: John Flick <johnf@hprnljf.rose.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 14:41:25 -0700
Cc: vgmib@hprnd.rose.hp.com, maria@xedia.com

Hi all,

	Suggested changes follow for the descriptions of UNmapped objects.
John's alterations for all other issues looked fine to me.

				Karen

*   Karen Kimball                          *
*   Hewlett Packard                        *
*   HP Workgroup Networks Division         *
*   Email: karenk@rosemail.rose.hp.com     *

>Subject: Rptr MIB Edits - Issue 5
>Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 17:51:22 -0700

>>3.6. Mapping of IEEE 802.12 Managed Objects
>>
>>    A short reason for why some IEEE attributes have no corresponding
>>MIB object would probably head off future questions.
>
>Remove the unmapped IEEE 802.12 objects from the list of mappings,
>and add the following to the end of the section:
>

>   The following IEEE 802.12 managed objects have not been included in
>   the 802.12 Repeater MIB for the indicated reasons.
>

>   IEEE 802.12 Managed Object        Disposition
>
>   oRepeater
>     .aGroupMap                      Can be determined by GetNext sweep
>                                     of vgRptrBasicGroupTable
>
>     .aRepeaterGroupCapacity         Meaning is unclear in many
								^ repeater

>                                     implementations.  For example,
>                                     some cards may have daughter cards
>                                     which makes group capacity change

>                                     depending on the cards installed.
>                                     Meaning is also unclear in a
>                                     stackable implementation.  Also,
>                                     since groups are not required to
>                                     be numbered from 1..capacity, but
>                                     may be computed algorithmically or
>                                     related to Entity MIB indices,
>                                     this object was not considered
>                                     useful.
>
>     .aRepeaterHealthData            Since the data is implementation
>                                     specific and non-interoperable,
>                                     it was not considered useful.
>
>     .aRepeaterHealthText            Implementation experience with
>                                     similar object in 802.3 Rptr MIB
>                                     indicated it was not useful.
>
>     .acExecuteNonDisruptiveSelfTest Implementation experience with
>                                     similar object in 802.3 Rptr MIB
>                                     indicated it was not useful.
>
>     .nGroupMapChange                Since aGroupMap was not included,
>                                     a notification of a change in that
>                                     object was not needed.
>
>   oGroup
>     .aPortMap                       Can be determined by GetNext sweep
>                                     of vgRptrBasicPortTable
>     .nPortMapChange                 Since aPortMap was not included,
>                                     a notification of a change in that
>                                     object was not needed.
>
>   oPort
>     .aMediaType                     This object is a function of the
>                                     Physical Media Dependent layer,
>                                     which corresponds to the 802.3
>                                     MAU MIB.  Deferred for future
>                                     work on an 802.12 PMD MIB which
>                                     will include both repeater and
>                                     interface PMD info and redundant
>                                     link support.

      .aMediaType		      This object is a function of the
				      Physical Media Dependent (PMD)
				      layer, which is defined differently
				      for each type of network. For an
				      802.3 network, .aMediaType