Re: [video-codec] Charter update

Basil Mohamed Gohar <basilgohar@librevideo.org> Wed, 02 January 2013 10:10 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 05:10:04 -0500
From: Basil Mohamed Gohar <basilgohar@librevideo.org>
To: video-codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [video-codec] Charter update

This is my first time reading through the proposed charter, and I think
it's quite good as is (for whatever value that has coming from me).
However, and I know this was hinted at in its existing form, I would
like to propose language that would explicitly include a goal of
enabling support within free and open-source software implementations,
as opposed to the more general language from BCP 79, which states it
must "be widely implemented and easily distributed among application
developers, service operators, and end users."  I believe there there
could exist solutions that satisfy the condition quoted from BCP 79 and
yet would not be implementable in free software applications.

The beauty of this kind of a stipulation is that it does not rule out
the usage of the produced codec in non-free applications, as qualifying
as free software doesn't have to include exclusion from less-open
software applications.

I know that that is what is intended by using the language above as a
guideline, and attempts to address known barriers to free software
implementation, such as following IETF's IPR guidelines, are already
being explicitly invoked.  But I think it is not a remote possibility
that a solution can be found that could theoretically pose problems to
implementations in free software projects and applications.  Having
explicit language making that as a goal would protect from exactly such
a scenario.  I believe it can be placed in the explanative text for the
above-quoted line as part of the WG's understanding of the phrase,
"...be widely implemented and easily distributed...".

I propose something along the lines of what follows (changed as
appropriate for charter-worthiness):

- A successful codec must be permitted, whether legally or otherwise, to
be implemented in free and open source software applications without
compromising the licenses under which such applications are distributed.

I know that that is rather clunky, but the meaning of what I was trying
to get across is conveyed, hopefully.  At the very least, I hope further
discussion on whether this is even needed to ensure the stated goals can
occur.

--
Libre Video
http://librevideo.org