Re: [vmeet] Experiences with remote participation at IETF76 via unofficial webex

Joshua Bell <josh@lindenlab.com> Fri, 13 November 2009 18:50 UTC

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:50:30 -0800
From: Joshua Bell <josh@lindenlab.com>
To: vmeet@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [vmeet] Experiences with remote participation at IETF76 via unofficial webex

Thanks for this excellent summary.

Although the we didn't have a session at IETF76, the VWRAP (Virtual Worlds
Region Agent Protocol) WG is planning to have another go at "mixed reality"
sessions for IETF77. This was done before with some success at IET74 and
IETF75. We're planning to take the learnings from that and feedback (such as
Brian's notes here) and do some dry runs before the actual session so it
runs smoothly. Getting Jabber/Skype/WebEx/audio stream/VW and live
speakers/content cross-bridged is going to be... fun. :) And definitely a
learning experience.

>From both those efforts and non-IETF presentations, one high level
observation about mixed-reality meetings (with fancy 3D spaces and avatars,
or WebEx) is that it works best when the physical meeting is seen as an
adjunct to the virtual meeting, rather than vice-versa. As a simple example,
the projector in the room should be showing the virtual (VW, WebEx) feed and
any slide materials are "presented" there and the live audience sees them
the same way that the virtual audience sees them. This ensures everyone is
on the "same page" so to speak.

If text chatter from in-world and/or jabber is on the same screen, it's
possible for interjections to catch the attention of the audience. (The
potential for distractions requires some management, however.)

This would imply, for example, that the microphone line would be managed
primarily in the virtual setting as well; physically present speakers would
be inserted into the virtual queue but even when at the physical mic they'd
wait for their turn to be acknowledged by a moderator tracking the virtual
queue.