Re: [vmeet] Comments on today's vMeet webex session

"Brian Rosen" <br@brianrosen.net> Fri, 24 April 2009 21:05 UTC

From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
To: 'Doug Otis' <doug.mtview@gmail.com>, 'Dave CROCKER' <dcrocker@bbiw.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 17:06:52 -0400
Cc: vMeet@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [vmeet] Comments on today's vMeet webex session

I believe your comment on the audio is incorrect.

Let's say that no one has any echo cancel, and someone in the room speaks.
As you point out, you don't hear echo in the room.  The remote participants
would get the direct audio a bit later, and what also happens is that some
of the outgoing audio from the room bounces off the hybrid in older phones
and is reflected back to the bridge.  The bridge has echo cancellation for
this and the echo won't come back to the room.

When a remote participant speaks, the sound comes out the speakers, gets
picked up by the microphone a bit later, and is sent back to the
participant, delayed.  Most conference bridges can't actually deal with
this: they aren't equipped to have local echo.  In this regard, it's not any
different from two conference phones in use with a phone connection between
them.  If you don't do anything locally, you WILL get echo.

However, there are devices available that are designed to link the room PA
to the phone line used for the audio connection, and they have the same kind
of echo cancellation that  conference phone does.  So, I think it will work
out okay, although we have to make sure we do that.

For example:
http://www.jkaudio.com/broadcast-host_dtails.htm
http://www.biamp.com/nexia_tc.php

Brian