[vmeet] TOOL: Elluminate -- Feedback on 26th May experiment

"Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond" <ocl@gih.com> Tue, 26 May 2009 16:02 UTC

Return-Path: <ocl@gih.com>
X-Original-To: vmeet@core3.amsl.com
Delivered-To: vmeet@core3.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (localhost []) by core3.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 63D413A6812 for <vmeet@core3.amsl.com>; Tue, 26 May 2009 09:02:34 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.298
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.298 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[AWL=-1.300, BAYES_50=0.001, STOX_REPLY_TYPE=0.001]
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([]) by localhost (core3.amsl.com []) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id Qz8fst+cVa4u for <vmeet@core3.amsl.com>; Tue, 26 May 2009 09:02:33 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from waikiki.gih.co.uk (salsa.gih.co.uk [IPv6:2001:470:1f09:92d::b]) by core3.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id E34933A686D for <vMeet@ietf.org>; Tue, 26 May 2009 09:02:30 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from waikiki.gih.co.uk (localhost6.localdomain6 [IPv6:::1]) by waikiki.gih.co.uk (Postfix) with ESMTP id 0AC0018F3DD for <vMeet@ietf.org>; Tue, 26 May 2009 17:04:01 +0100 (BST)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed; d=gih.com; h=message-id:from :to:references:subject:date:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; s=mahalo1; bh=XXCvsfDvQwRp9PrlvE3c1s 2NrrQ=; b=srL9VZxcER2tTHO1P+MaN3XUskDbb99S0X1Yp9tl9DqwKnva9Eytp2 w25cKkGa1LDnA4puZ9Y8/OBH2WgcIb52hFDUUKNekuZGkO+ucz+iH5g573KA73jJ Ie119czc0laQXd5E/cE95pmAL74UelJfsyof7r+qaTOKmr4AxSiuc=
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gih.com; h=message-id:from :to:references:subject:date:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; q=dns; s=mahalo1; b=XtoTYIypAVOcubO3 +zxa7piPejUn3H4+nqHuoYxRHJXCLypnkRoYUlACAJt1AknKwVd1kOi+iO5Rcq9h xokp0OxyEDP42dqyveaYOPeO1K8+RuW+zH1pNZwGFcU/5cTE+iLbaylXoChKgjL6 tmbgJemum9cXDjNambxjb7VBrAw=
Received: from ALOHA2 (ANice-151-1-22-187.w83-113.abo.wanadoo.fr []) (using TLSv1 with cipher RC4-MD5 (128/128 bits)) (Client did not present a certificate) by waikiki.gih.co.uk (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id 8A0F618F3AD for <vMeet@ietf.org>; Tue, 26 May 2009 17:04:00 +0100 (BST)
Message-ID: <637BAC5F0E4B49E88F0CE83B47430B79@GIH.CO.UK>
From: Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl@gih.com>
To: vMeet@ietf.org
References: <4A08BDC0.1080409@dcrocker.net>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 18:01:12 +0200
Organization: Global Information Highway Ltd
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; format="flowed"; charset="iso-8859-1"; reply-type="original"
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Subject: [vmeet] TOOL: Elluminate -- Feedback on 26th May experiment
X-BeenThere: vmeet@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.9
Precedence: list
List-Id: IETF remote participation meeting services discussion <vmeet.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vmeet>, <mailto:vmeet-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vmeet>
List-Post: <mailto:vmeet@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:vmeet-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vmeet>, <mailto:vmeet-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:02:34 -0000

Hey everyone,

altogether, I have found the loading time for Elluminate to be a lot faster
than for Webex.
It also appreared to use less resources on my local machine than Webex.

A bug & a feature from there:

1. my Elluminate was all in French. Checking through the docs, I have found
out that it:
"automatically inherits language settings of operating system"
I have found this feature annoying, in that I could not manually choose
another language, so when Dave described the features he was clicking on, I
needed to quickly think of the French equivalent.
Also - when I conduct a meeting in English, I wish to be able to make all
selections in English. Mixing languages just becomes confusing, even when

2. Throughout the session, I was unable to speak and got a:
"java.lang.RuntimeException: Wave input device appears to be stopped. Error
about 500msec after I clicked on the microphone icon.

After the meeting, John & I remained online for a short while, and whilst
his mic was turned off, I clicked on my mic - and it worked. But the moment
he turned his mic on to confirm he had heard me, I went back to the error &
my mic was automatically turned off. Methinks bug somewhere along the line.
I'm running Java 6. I tried calling it from MSIE 8 & Firefox 3.0.10. My
hardware is Pentium Core II Duo & O/S Windows XP 2002 SP3 with all the

Overall impressions:

1. I like the additional features this software has, especially the order of
2. I do not like being whisked around rooms & sub-rooms (break-out rooms) by
the moderator without having any control over this
3. Not too impressed with stability due to error described above
4. Very irritated with not being able to change the language easily by
clicking an icon or something

I hope this helps,


Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD