[vnfpool] 答复: State management

Zongning <zongning@huawei.com> Tue, 29 July 2014 08:31 UTC

From: Zongning <zongning@huawei.com>
To: "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu>, Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 08:31:04 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.138.41.54]
Cc: "vnfpool@ietf.org" <vnfpool@ietf.org>, "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
Subject: [vnfpool] 答复: State management

Hi, Richard, and all,

I don’t see a big dispute in your conversation. We don’t exclude state management as a whole. If we agree on a modular approach, we can carry on our work step by step.
Firstly I agree with Adrian that we should draw a distinction between the interface between pool members for state data transfer, and the interface between pool manager and pool member for state management. Although both these two interfaces are called “state management” in general - from many people’s perspective, they are quite different in nature.
The former is vendor specific and obviously needs agreement among multiple vendors in terms of failover (and state data transfer) between VNFs from different vendors. We are not in such situation yet, but will encourage vendors to discuss and bring gap analysis to show their support on interoperability. So your proposed work of gap analysis on state management is a good idea.
The latter is actually implicitly included in the charter, serving as a common substrate for state management. We agree that such standard interface between pool manager and pool members are important for decoupled innovation of different VNF and controller implementations. This issue has been clarified in early email from Melinda.
IMO, the VNF pool is usable and valuable, provided the standard interface between pool manager and pool members are well designed, to allow for interoperability between pool manager, and pool members from different vendors. This is quite different with any proprietary pooling solution based on single vendor implementation, and is the key value we want bring via IETF.

The real concern in my mind is that someone may still think that the whole VNF pool won’t succeed without opening the interface between pool members for state data transfer – which I strongly disagree.

Thanks.

-Ning