Re: [vnrg] Some definitions and way forward

"Papadimitriou, Dimitri (Dimitri)" <dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel-lucent.com> Wed, 03 August 2011 16:13 UTC

From: "Papadimitriou, Dimitri (Dimitri)" <dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Roland Bless <roland.bless@kit.edu>, "vnrg@irtf.org" <vnrg@irtf.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 18:13:19 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [vnrg] Some definitions and way forward

Hi,

These definitions stems from the view that physical resource owner provides virtual resources of the same kind (delimits the type of virtual resources it can deliver). My understanding from the scope given in the Maastricht meeting was:

- virtual resources can be hosted on physical resources of different type i.e. virtual nodes/links don't have to be instantiated from physical nodes/links; for instance, a virtual network can comprise virtual nodes that are bringing together/aggregating resources from multiple physical nodes AND a set of virtual nodes that are emulated on a single physical machine.

- virtual resources composing a virtual network can be of different type and thus virtually operate at different layers (thus beyond nodes and links operating at a given layer) including wireless/wireline virtual links with different properties (with or without emulated delay), hosts and intermediate nodes of different kind, e.g., switches, routers, base stations, etc.). This is basically what makes the difference between an "overlay network" and "virtual network".

The role definitions here below tend to reproduce (and thus somehow limit) the roles we actually know from "physical networks". Taking the above definitions, if the virtual network would be running on physical hosts, "providers" would not maintain any physical resource of the type indicated here below (routers, links, wireless infrastructure, etc.) but only computing resources on terminals/servers.

The role definitions provided here below tend to enforce too a client-server strict demarcation between resource owner and non-owner merging thus a functional and operational role whereas demarcation would be needed between an external entity to the VN (as delimited by the functionality that the VN delivers) and a Virtual NAP (whether one owns the underlying resources or not).

Thanks,
-dimitri.