Re: [vnrg] Status of the VNRG: Dormant or dead?

Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu> Wed, 06 July 2011 17:14 UTC

Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 10:14:05 -0700
From: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
To: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
Cc: "vnrg@irtf.org" <vnrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [vnrg] Status of the VNRG: Dormant or dead?

Hi, Lou,

On 7/6/2011 9:49 AM, Lou Berger wrote:
> Joe,
> 	I really like&  agree with much of what you say, particularly WRT
> openflow, forces, and VPNs.
>
> I think some potentially interesting topics for discussion would be:
> - the differences (in requirements) between a VN and an overlay network
>    (VPNs are just one type of overlay network after all),

Well, my view is that a VN is an overlay (just different names). A VPN
is a *partial* VN or overlay. I don't know of a kind of overlay I'd say
wasn't a VN - can you give an example?

> - the requirements for the control interface at the VN/overlay-provider
> boundary.

That implies something like a PPVPN - i.e., a partial overlay setup by a
provider.

IMO, "provider" is a term of economics, not architecture. I do agree
that the "interface to configure/control a VN" is interesting, but
that's just 'yet another network management issue'. It seems, AFAICT, to
be driven more by net mgt than by VN issues.

Joe