Re: [vnrg] I-D Action:draft-jeong-vnrg-virtual-networks-ps-00.txt

"Sangjin Jeong" <sjjeong@etri.re.kr> Thu, 06 January 2011 06:18 UTC

From: Sangjin Jeong <sjjeong@etri.re.kr>
To: Adrian.Farrel@huawei.com
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 15:20:38 +0900
Comment: ??, u-??,
Cc: vnrg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [vnrg] I-D Action:draft-jeong-vnrg-virtual-networks-ps-00.txt

Hello Adrian,

Thanks for your comments.
See inline, please.

> Hi vnrg,
>
> Please excuse me for not having been following your work - I plead insufficient
> hours in the day (perhaps an opportunity for virtualization?).
>
> I wanted to do two things briefly:
> 1. Check that you were aware of some IETF work on virtualization
> 2. Pick at Sangjin Jeong's draft
>
> First, just to draw your attention to RFC 5623 . Although this work is limited
> to the virtualization of network resources for the use in a "layered" network
> model, and although it is targeted very much at a specific level within the
> network, you may find it interesting because it separates the operation and
> management of resources and the virtual resources through the use of "abstract"
> functional components.

I briefly took a look at the RFC5623. IMHO, the document describes how to
optimize utilization of network resources by taking into account all layers.
In order to achieve the objectives, several path computation/control models are
presented. I think that the inter-layer path control models proposed in the
document may be utilized for achieving isolation and partitioning properties of
virtual networks.

> Second, I think that the first paragraph of the Introduction to
> draft-jeong-vnrg-virtual-networks-ps is key and could stand being polished...
>
>    The main objectives of virtualization are to create multiple logical
>    instances of the resources that can coexist, to separate the uses of
>    the logical instances, and to simplify the use of the underlying
>    resources by abstracting the characteristics and interacting with the
>    resources with limited abstracted knowledge.
>
> These are definitely objectives. But is this a complete set, and are there more
> significant objectives?
>
> I think something that is missing is the sharing of the underlying resources.
> Perhaps this is implicit in "simplify the use of", but for me an important part
> of virtualization is the management (i.e., implementation of policy) of the way
> the underlying resources are shared by the logical resources.

The first paragraph describes general key properties of virtualization, i.e.,
partitioning, isolation, and abstraction. The partitioning property may include
the concept of sharing of the underlying resources. Also, as you mentioned,
management of underlying resources is an important part of virtualization, but
management may be regarded as how to realize the properties of virtualization
rather than independent property of virtualization, IMHO.

Regards,
Sangjin