Re: [vnrg] Some definitions and way forward

"Papadimitriou, Dimitri (Dimitri)" <dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel-lucent.com> Thu, 04 August 2011 10:28 UTC

From: "Papadimitriou, Dimitri (Dimitri)" <dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Roland Bless <roland.bless@kit.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 12:28:42 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "vnrg@irtf.org" <vnrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [vnrg] Some definitions and way forward

Hi,

Trying to summarize the discussion:

o) VNRG, even if dealing virtual network, does not mandate VN provided exclusively by networking infrastructure providers. Part of the problem comes from the definition initially proposed which refers to Infrastructure Provider whereas one should speak about a Physical Resource Host (or a term that doesn't implicitly assign VN roles from the roles inherited by current physical networks).

o) Next we should not restrict physical resources to networking nodes / links but also incorporate storage and processing resources (a.k.a IT resources). Thus, instead of restricting a virtual resource of type X to be hosted on physical resources of type X, the definitions should allow for a virtual resource of type X to be hosted on a physical resource of type Y.

o) Moreover, we have to better distinguish the type of resource from their function/role. In the initial definition, there is a 1:1 relationship (because a physical networking node can only host virtual nodes e.g. virtual routers), whereas in the example provided in the previous e-mail (case of emulation of virtual resources), there is a 1:N relationship (IT resources can emulate a set of routers).

o) Finally, the partition of the physical resources on which the VN relies should not determine the delimitation of that VN. Whatever the criteria of demarcation between physical resources being administrative, ownership, etc. as long as we don't find an architecturally constraining reason these different levels of demarcation should be left independent.

Thanks,
-dimitri.