[vnrg] Logical vs. virtual

Didier Colle <didier.colle@intec.UGent.be> Thu, 15 July 2010 13:31 UTC

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:31:48 +0200
From: Didier Colle <didier.colle@intec.UGent.be>
To: vnrg@irtf.org
Subject: [vnrg] Logical vs. virtual

Dear all,

Joe raised the issue of logical vs. virtual.
I believe it is worth spending a separate thread on clarifying this point.

At the bottom of this email is my proposal.

Joe stated:
> Note that nothing about these definitions specifies a boundary, i.e.,
> inside a single machine, etc. I don't think those boundaries are
> meaningful in the base Internet anyway.
> I.e., IMO, virtual has nothing per se to do with "logical". I.e., a
> set of devices on a network that source/sink packets with a single
> network address act as a single logical host. That's not 'virtual' to
> me, though most 'virtual' things tend to be logical, not all logical
> things are virtual.
1) Should I interprete this as logical referring to physical boundaries?
2) This does not define what virtual means or how it differs from
logical --> we probably need to formally define virtual inside the vnrg
to know what we are speaking about exactly.
3) I agree with "not all logical things are virtual". However, "MOST
virtual things TEND to be logical" --> are there any counter examples in
which virtual things are not logical?

This example also reminded me of the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol
(VRRP): see RFC3768.
Not sure what made the authors to call it virtual rather than logical.

According to Juniper (sorry for mentioning company names...):
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos74/swconfig74-routing/html/logical-router-overview2.html

>     Logical Routers and Virtual Routers
>
> A virtual router is not the same as a logical router. A virtual router
> is a type of simplified routing instance that has a single routing
> table. A logical router is a partition of a physical router and can
> contain multiple routing instances and routing tables. For example, a
> logical router can contain multiple virtual router routing instances.

Virtual memory handling in computer systems:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory#Segmented_virtual_memory

>       Page tables
>
> Almost all implementations use page tables
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_table> to translate the virtual
> addresses seen by the application program into physical addresses
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_address> (also referred to as
> "real addresses") used by the hardware to process instructions. Each
> entry in the page table contains a mapping for a virtual page to
> either the real memory address at which the page is stored, or an
> indicator that the page is currently held in a disk file. (Although
> most do, some systems may not support use of a disk file for virtual
> memory.)
>
> Systems can have one page table for the whole system or a separate
> page table for each application. If there is only one, different
> applications which are running at the same time
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiprogramming> share a single virtual
> address space, i.e. they use different parts of a single range of
> virtual addresses. Systems which use multiple page tables provide
> multiple virtual address spaces—concurrent applications think they are
> using the same range of virtual addresses, but their separate page
> tables redirect to different real addresses.
>

>       [edit
>       <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Virtual_memory&action=edit&section=4>]

Conclusion: not really clear definition of both terms.

My proposal:
* Logical is opposite of physical: logical always requires mapping to
physical. Of course, logical can be mapped on some other logical thing
that itself needs mapping to physical. More formally, this mapping is a
general function: 1) nothing should prohibit mapping multiple logical
names/addresses to a single physical address/thing, 2) not all physical
entities must have a logical counterpart. Also the source and target of
the mapping should not be restricted in terms of types: names can be
mapped onto other names or names can be mapped onto address for examples.
* Virtual is a specialized form of logical, as the virtualization
technology still needs to map a virtual entity onto a single
non-virtualized (physical or isolated uniquely identifiable logical)
entity, while guaranteeing isolation. More formally, this mapping is an
injection of tupples of <entity, virtual instance ID> onto entities of
the same type (thus not mapping of names into addresses for example:
virtualization of name space, means mapping <virtual name, instance ID>
on to unique identifiable <name>, virtualization of virtual memory (I
would rather call this logical memory) page tables <virtual page number
(seen by application), instance ID> on to <system wide page number>).

Kind regards,

Didier

--
Didier Colle