Re: [vnrg] Logical vs. virtual

"Sangjin Jeong" <sjjeong@etri.re.kr> Thu, 17 February 2011 07:47 UTC

From: Sangjin Jeong <sjjeong@etri.re.kr>
To: Martin Stiemerling <Martin.Stiemerling@neclab.eu>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 16:47:44 +0900
Comment: ??, ???,
Cc: vnrg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [vnrg] Logical vs. virtual

Hi Martin,

I tend to agree to your opinion that logical or virtual may be dependent on
the point of view.

It seems to me that logical is related to the separation aspect of physical
entity, whereas virtual is related to the realization aspect.

I think that logical entity is an independently manageable entity of physical
entity. A single physical entity can be divided into one or more logical
entities. Each logical entity inherits the characteristics of the physical
entity and the capability of the logical entity is basically limited to the
capability of the physical entity. In other words, the capability of the
logical entity is bound to the dedicated portion of the physical entity to
the logical entity. The sum of all logical entities' capability will be the
capability of the physical entity, if over-commitment is not considered.
Also, since it is possible to aggregate multiple logical entities into a
single logical entity, a single logical entity can consist of multiple
physical entities.

Virtual entity is an abstract instance (or representation) of physical or
logical entity. After creating a virtual entity, a resource portion of
physical or logical entity is allocated to the virtual entity so that the
virtual entity can work. A physical or logical entity can have one or more
virtual entities. It is possible to make virtual entity that does not have
physical or logical entity by creating dummy virtual entity (no resource is
allocated to the dummy virtual entity). The capability of the virtual entity
may exceed the physical or logical entity's capability depending on the
characteristics of physical or logical entity. For example, it is possible to
provide more virtual memory that physical memory by utilizing auxiliary
storage device. During the creation of virtual entity, it is possible to
modify the characteristics of the virtual entity by abstraction.

Regards,
Sangjin