Re: [vnrg] Some more Acid tests & VN principles

Robert Drost <robert.drost@pluribusnetworks.com> Tue, 09 November 2010 20:56 UTC

From: Robert Drost <robert.drost@pluribusnetworks.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:56:47 -0800
To: vnrg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [vnrg] Some more Acid tests & VN principles

I had a few topics and questions I'd like to raise on this topic also. To give some concrete context for these thoughts, I am taking the perspective of someone in a cloud environment who is supporting (potentially) hostile customers/user-administrators that may not put effort to voluntarily play nice with each other.

The topics below reflect questioning how much one would wish the virtual networks to mimic physical networks along a number of dimensions

Performance:
Should one virtual network's bursts affect the latency, bandwidth, and drops on other virtual networks when the virtual networks are sharing physical links, switches, servers, storage, etc.?

Namespace:
Which namespaces are fully-virtualized and hence avoid any possible numbering conflicts among virtual networks on shared hardware.
Lots of possibilities here, for point of discussion here's one specific example:
MAC: physical, shared numbering space among all virtual networks
VLAN 12-bit queue: physical, shared numbering among all virtual networks
VLAN 2nd 12-bit Q-inQ: virtual, extra namespace available within a virtual network
IP: new namespace per virtual network
TCP: new namespace per virtual network
UDP: new namespace per virtual network
iSCSI: new namespace per virtual network
FCoE: new namespace per virtual network

Administrative model:
Should we be able to support firm restrictions on what a given virtual network administrator can see or modify about other virtual networks? In terms of acid tests, does the administrative model, in effect, mimic the act of given a customer/user a bunch of physical network hardware that they have full control over, while restricting them from configuring or probing someone else's physical hardware.

- Robert