Re: [vnrg] Logical vs. virtual

Didier Colle <didier.colle@intec.UGent.be> Thu, 15 July 2010 16:36 UTC

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:36:26 +0200
From: Didier Colle <didier.colle@intec.UGent.be>
To: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
Cc: vnrg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [vnrg] Logical vs. virtual

Dear Joe, all,

> I tend to think of a logical device as not really adding to the
> capabilities of a physical one, though, whereas a virtual one seems to
> (at least to me).

Please explain. What capabilities are you referring to?
So far, I think most people on the list have expressed a virtual network
having the same or a subset of the capabilities of the network. Do you
agree with that? And remains that statement true for a virtual device
rather than virtual network?

 From your previous post today, these capabilities are not apparent.
> 1.c. what is the characteristic behavior/capability of the
>     resulting system?
>
> I think that the defining characteristic of a VN is that it allows an
> existing network to concurrently emulate another, distinct and
> separate network.
Is that a characteristic/capability of the virtual network (VN) or of
the underlying existing network?

> Maybe these are really just two aspects of a single thing, i.e., I
> would differentiate between:
>
> - a device which does not map 1:1 to a physical entity
> (could be a part of one, a group of many, or a group of parts)
>
> - a device which provides supports virtual networking
>
> Since we call the latter "virtual networking" (the name of this RG), I
> would propose that the latter would be the virtual device, and the
> former be the logical one.

Hmm... so the resulting question is: What is virtual networking? ;-)

> I don't think of it as a 'specialized form', but rather the fact that
> a single virtual router CANNOT be mapped onto a single physical device
> with no other logical components.
>
> I.e., a virtual router needs a base router to connect to the links of
> the tunnel. A virtual host needs a base router (as well) for the same
> reason.
Really? In your previous post  you said: "A virtual link is the easiest
to define - it is a tunnel over some existing network path, i.e., with
an additional layer of encapsulation that is used solely for the VN, but
which is otherwise not needed. A virtual router forwards packets between
virtual links. " So, virtual link is encapsulated (e.g., by tagging with
a VLAN-ID?) to allow multiplexing: is this something the virtual router
cannot do (although invisible to the user/owner of the virtual router)?
Do you need for that another "base" router?

Kind regards,

Didier

--
Didier Colle