Vectors of Trust (VoT) Bar BoF 22-July-2015, 8:00 pm CEST Attending: Leif Johansson, Steve Olshansky, Justin Richer, Robin Wilton, Karen OÕDonoghue, Nat Sakimura, Wendy Seltzer, Stephanie Gedes, and Steve Moore Remote: Jim Fenton and Colin Wallis The main purpose of the Bar BoF was to talk about the current state of the document and to discuss potential next steps. Document Discussion: ================== Justin Richer provided a quick overview of the current draft (draft- richer-vectors-of-trust-00) and a high level summary of the comments received to date including: - Default values have led to some objections, but they are simply a starting point - Orthogonality Ð the vectors should not overlap, but should be conceptually as different from each other as possible - VoT should be an expression construct for these types of semantics - We need guidance language re what orthogonality means in this context Ð these things are not completely orthogonal There was discussion on several aspects of the current draft including: (Nat) (ITU-T) X.1254 and (ISO/IEC) 29115 tackle the issue of common trust frameworks and defined policies across different jurisdictions already, and that work is more accommodating than NIST 800-63. We should look at those to see if there is anything we can use or refer to. Vectors need to be evaluated by a relying party (RP) in a context. How simple can we make this work, without it being too simple? Unbundling attributes leads to expressing them as vectors and not as levels of assurance (LoA). Liability: (Nat) In P3, a legal contractual relationship is not quite identity proofing. (Justin) Feedback from Kantara in other contexts was related to a legally binding relationship with a person, e.g. for payroll. (Leif) We could add another category / vector for degree of liability protection. Does this merit inclusion in the core or as an extension? Attestation of proofing is contextual to authn, otherwise you are leaking private info. Keep in mind that the goal here is targeted to provide context for user authn Ð how certain am I that this person is identified correctly, and how certain can you be in my assertion about this? (Robin) Extensions can lead to breaking down into pairwise agreements between stakeholders, and for liability this would be a good thing. If a user is presenting the same credential, do we want the system to assert different VoT? Justin: OpenID Connect has a notion of pairwise identifiers for a high assurance anonymous transaction. Regardless of assurances that the IdP has about me binding to an account, it will not convey that information because I told it not to. (Robin) How reliable is the credential lifecycle, verification and enrollment. Can the credential be forged or tampered with in presentation? C = primary credential A = derived federated credential Trustmarks will provide ultimate definitions of the vectors. We need a way to handle: - account chooser - liability expressions - (+what else?) (Nat) Why not just use existing documents like 29115 for definitions? (Justin) This is what we want people to use in the real world. Doc has general case examples. We could use these other definitions, but making them up forces people to think about them. Ultimately we could certainly do that if that makes more sense. eIDAS is referencing 29115. (Colin) Perhaps we should add a cookbook or appendix referencing definitions from other sources. Where should the syntax pieces live? IANA registry? There are 2 dimensions to this work at a high level: - what are the categories? - what should be in them, are they ordered, does order matter? Solution could be to Òlead by exampleÓ in the document and expect people to adapt to their own needs Do we want to have one trustmark definition across entire vector, or should that be separable as well into components? (Justin) Yes, just one, send a URI for each vector. (Robin) In IoT we will have a number of things talking to each other, each with its own baggage. So expecting RP to look each one up is not realistic. The point about (not) using the labels ÒsubÓ and ÒissÓ for vectors and trustmarks needs to be investigated further. Next Steps: ========= To wrap up the meeting, we discussed next steps for this work. They include the following: 1. Justin will produce the next edition of the document. Comments can be sent either via pull requests on GitHub or to the mailing list (vot@ietf.org). General discussion should take place on the mailing list. 2. We need to ensure that we are tracking and properly addressing all issues raised. We need to ensure that we are clear and transparent in this effort especially as we try to coordinate with groups and individuals who are not as familiar with the IETF process and shorthand. We will use the existing GitHub issue tracker: https://github.com/vectorsoftrust/strawman/issues We need to ensure all existing issues get added to the tracker. 3. We need to ensure coordination with other SDOs working in this space. A recurring question was where this work should take place. The IETF does not seem to have quite the right expertise, but it is not clear there is a better forum. In order to be successful, this work will require close coordination with a number of other SDOs engaged in related work. We need to ensure that there is coordination with those SDOs (like ISO and ITU-T) so that we can leverage their expertise in this work. If we end up establishing an IETF working group, there will probably be official liaisons established with these SDOs. Until then, it will be up to us to coordinate leveraging on our existing connections and relationships.