Re: [VRRP] Proposal for Maintenance Event for VRRP [RFC-5798]

sreenatha <sreenatha.setty@ibtechnology.com> Thu, 28 February 2013 16:38 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 22:08:45 +0530
From: sreenatha <sreenatha.setty@ibtechnology.com>
To: "vrrp@ietf.org" <vrrp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [VRRP] Proposal for Maintenance Event for VRRP [RFC-5798]

Hi Anurag,
     Modification to algorithm is correct. But this modification is
taking care only when Router is in Master state.
What about if Backup router(priority value is zero) receives
ADVERTISEMENT message with priority value as zero?

Same condition we will consider, where both VRRP routers priority is set
to zero, and both sending ADVERTISEMENT messages with priority as zero.
According to new modification any one router, lets take "Router A", will
remain in Master state and other router, lets say "Router B", will
transit to Backup state.

Now according to RFC-5798:
When "Router B" is in Backup state,

(420) - If an ADVERTISEMENT is received, then:

          (425) + If the Priority in the ADVERTISEMENT is zero, then:

             (430) * Set the Master_Down_Timer to Skew_Time

          (440) + else // priority non-zero

So this lead to Master_Down_Timer to expire soon.

Again in Backup state,
(365) - If the Master_Down_Timer fires, then:

          (370) + Send an ADVERTISEMENT

          (405) + Set the Adver_Timer to Advertisement_Interval

          (410) + Transition to the {Master} state

(415) -endif // Master_Down_Timer fire

So this lead to continuous switch over from Backup to Master state and vice verse state transitions in "Router B".

To avoid this condition,
In Backup state also we need to do modification. Same as you suggested in Master state, same extra condition we need to check in Backup state also.
Modifications in Backup state as follows(Differences from RFC-5798 highlighted with Underline):

(420) - If an ADVERTISEMENT is received, then:

          (425) + If the Priority in the ADVERTISEMENT is zero,

          _(421) -+ and_

          _(422) -+ Local Priority is greater than zero, then:_

             (430) * Set the Master_Down_Timer to Skew_Time

          (440) + else // priority non-zero or local-priority is zero
              (Continue other logic)

This will avoid state-transition flip-flap problem in "Router B".

Thanks,
Sreenatha Setty