Re: [VRRP] draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-mib-07.txt MIB Dr. Review

"Kalyan (Srinivas)Tata" <stata@checkpoint.com> Thu, 10 June 2010 19:37 UTC

From: "Kalyan (Srinivas)Tata" <stata@checkpoint.com>
To: Joan Cucchiara <jcucchiara@mindspring.com>, Adrian Farrel <Adrian.Farrel@huawei.com>, "tata_kalyan@yahoo.com" <tata_kalyan@yahoo.com>, "vrrp@ietf.org" <vrrp@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:34:03 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "MIB Doctors (E-mail)" <mib-doctors@ietf.org>, "vrrp-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <vrrp-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-mib@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-mib@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [VRRP] draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-mib-07.txt MIB Dr. Review

Hi Joan,
Sorry for the delay (The usual got busy excuse :) ). I started on the edits for new draft and would like your comments/input on the following. Also as I started to edit, I needed some clarifications on your earlier input.

This would be the new draft name: draft-ietf-vrrp-v3-mib-00.txt

I also have to get an IANA assigned OID under mib-2.

VRRPv3-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN
   Vrrpv3MIB  MODULE-IDENTITY
   . .
   ::= { mib-2 ZZZ }

    -- EdNote: Please replace ZZZ with a real OID once it is
    -- allocated and remove this note.

I will have an IANA considerations section.
[Kalyan>] Is this OK?
[Kalyan>] Also, I am using the same group/table names as the previous draft - I think that should be OK. Just want to confirm with you.

I also have some questions on your earlier comments:

>> I would like to see a discussion of the indexing wrt the device.
>> The warnings from the MIB compiler indicate that there may be a
>> better indexing (table structure) available.  That doesn't mean
>> that you need to resolve the warnings, but I would like to see
>> some text included which shows why the chosen indexes are
>> advantageous for the VRRP router, and the Virtual Routers.
>>
>> IMHO, if an interface goes down,
>> then would be probably more advantageous
>> to know the Virtual router(s) associated with that interface.
>> (and subsequently the IP addresses on those Virtual Routers).
>>>>
> [Kalyan>] I do not have any strong reasons for the indexing, As I
> mentioned, It was suggested in the earlier meeting and it remained that
> way during all these revisions. I will change this to ifIndex, VrId,
> AddrType

So will revisit this in the next email or two.

[Kalyan>] Shell I go ahead and change the order of indexing to ifindex, VrId, AddrType?

11) Section 10.  Please specify that this is
the VRRP MIB Module Definition

[Kalyan>]  I am not sure if you wanted me to specify this some place other than in Description section. Following is what I had.
       DESCRIPTION
            "This MIB describes objects used for managing Virtual
             Router Redundancy Protocol version 3 (VRRPv3) for IPv4
             and IPv6.

             Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2010)."

* VrId (Textual Convention)

There is already a VrId in RFC2787. While it looks as if the
only difference is the DESCRIPTION clause, need to caution against
doing redefining this.  I would suggest creating a VRID TC and
making the DESCRIPTION simple, for example:  This value uniquely identifies
Virtual Router on a VRRP router.

While the remaining text is informative, it is not really necessary.
Please also give a REFERENCE clause for this.

[Kalyan>]
[Kalyan>] I see the problem of defining VrId.
[Kalyan>] I am thinking that you are suggesting that I create a new VRRP-TC-MIB which would define VrId separately and import in this MIB. Is this correct? Even if I define a new TC-MIB I would have to use a different name like VrrpId or should I reuse VrId? If I am changing to VrrpId then do I really need to define a new TC-MIB? I don't see any other MIB importing this either.

[Kalyan>]