Re: [VRRP] Proposal for Maintenance Event for VRRP [RFC-5798]

sreenatha <sreenatha.setty@ibtechnology.com> Sat, 02 March 2013 08:17 UTC

Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2013 13:47:07 +0530
From: sreenatha <sreenatha.setty@ibtechnology.com>
To: "Anurag Kothari (ankothar)" <ankothar@cisco.com>
Cc: "vrrp@ietf.org" <vrrp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [VRRP] Proposal for Maintenance Event for VRRP [RFC-5798]

Hi Anurag,
     Thanks for clarification.

      If i am wrong, user is allowed to configure Priority value as
zero(i.e., Maintenance_Event), priority value will be changed. And
handling of the Maintenance_Event is done only in Master state and
ignored in Backup and Init state.

Thanks,
Sreenatha

On 03/01/2013 08:31 PM, Anurag Kothari (ankothar) wrote:
> Hi Sreenatha
>
> I don't think we need to define a "Maintenance_Event" when the router is in either Init or Backup State. The intention of the "Maintenance_Event" is to trigger a failover from "Master" to a "Backup" router as soon as possible (especially when preemption is not configured).
>
> But if you are asking if priority = 0 should be allowed (either by user configuration or dynamically) when the router is in "Init" or "Backup" state then I think the answer should be yes, It should be treated just like any other change in priority is treated when the router is in these states.
>
> Please let me know if I am missing something.
>
> Thanks
> -Anurag

Disclaimer :
This email communication may contain privileged and confidential information and is intended for the use of the addressee only.If you are not an intended recipient you are requested not to reproduce, copy disseminate or in any manner distribute this email communication as the same is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the communication sent in error. Email communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure & error free and IB Technology is not liable for any errors in the email communication or for the proper, timely and complete transmission thereof.