Re: [vwrap] is the group still interested in LLSD or DSD?

Morgaine <morgaine.dinova@googlemail.com> Wed, 04 May 2011 17:22 UTC

Return-Path: <morgaine.dinova@googlemail.com>
X-Original-To: vwrap@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: vwrap@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id CBAFBE07D3 for <vwrap@ietfa.amsl.com>; Wed, 4 May 2011 10:22:55 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -2.916
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-2.916 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[AWL=0.060, BAYES_00=-2.599, FM_FORGED_GMAIL=0.622, HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_LOW=-1]
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([64.170.98.30]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id dTlKwIB01XaJ for <vwrap@ietfa.amsl.com>; Wed, 4 May 2011 10:22:54 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from mail-qw0-f44.google.com (mail-qw0-f44.google.com [209.85.216.44]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4B12BE07D9 for <vwrap@ietf.org>; Wed, 4 May 2011 10:22:51 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by qwc23 with SMTP id 23so1081025qwc.31 for <vwrap@ietf.org>; Wed, 04 May 2011 10:22:50 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=J1X2EOJ3hQoVeaUq2F0Pv004HwKjsdbvoUZ5PdBqkMU=; b=TOqKeZyz+kRg4TB2kyA7WOjrZYU1QQ0051B/IWEl7GaWmD7C6inhwzUSSAMuAw9+Lr Rl9nEmGCWiW3sQN6vLbauQh5kVmUmHF/siwtt34m/G4OgIEz1M9WSyxpvi2/JniTQ1cR NtnMu9egWA630wa1gRO1TxX3cE3LtqfXYFgZ8=
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; b=aIdHskWSPw0yI+swyLrGbYW0CygJ6K5ONL2zSr4LU3Dvo5jdR7mtbe41pM+1KOvzKS 4GkHS6yJs2gn5UbqZ7KqP8q+g3P04pJdMnO3se6f+bmgCWUIYea+9e40L1lSmgcscYDB 0ds5Qrd3O3jYTKqbYPaxh0cxcpxr5tfapV3GQ=
MIME-Version: 1.0
Received: by 10.229.127.96 with SMTP id f32mr1030215qcs.139.1304529770395; Wed, 04 May 2011 10:22:50 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.229.66.212 with HTTP; Wed, 4 May 2011 10:22:50 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <4DC1824B.6040609@gmail.com>
References: <BANLkTi=g9T5q5bVgytpxRxuE=Oc9iG2F9w@mail.gmail.com> <BANLkTi=K8-6oL-JJoPCfz0JjDpaRBpeOyg@mail.gmail.com> <4DC15504.3090503@gmail.com> <BANLkTikay4xhQoZs2L0uRLSXgUMfCE9yfA@mail.gmail.com> <4DC160F0.1030201@gmail.com> <BANLkTikTYpLHM=GAeGAVfufqZ5XT0FSAzw@mail.gmail.com> <BANLkTi=kjBSuMjPcgfXTUvZ3iwmS1bN50Q@mail.gmail.com> <4DC17704.3020201@gmail.com> <BANLkTimpGpNrkE3WUdurduqrVumocDRwfQ@mail.gmail.com> <4DC1824B.6040609@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 18:22:50 +0100
Message-ID: <BANLkTi=hhsiDs=fdZRsthp_+5Hs+pR4L6A@mail.gmail.com>
From: Morgaine <morgaine.dinova@googlemail.com>
To: vwrap@ietf.org
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=000e0cdf65f29036c004a2768115
Subject: Re: [vwrap] is the group still interested in LLSD or DSD?
X-BeenThere: vwrap@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.12
Precedence: list
List-Id: Virtual World Region Agent Protocol - IETF working group <vwrap.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/vwrap>, <mailto:vwrap-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vwrap>
List-Post: <mailto:vwrap@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:vwrap-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vwrap>, <mailto:vwrap-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 17:22:55 -0000

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Dzonatas Sol <dzonatas@gmail.com>; wrote:

> On 05/04/2011 09:06 AM, Morgaine wrote:
>
>> I gather that you don't understand the type model of LLSD + serializations
>> then.
>>
>
> That is rude for you to assume that, and also consider that I have an
> active implementation. Please, be more serious.
>


I apologize, I should not have implied that you lack understanding, my bad!

Let me rephrase it more precisely.  Your responses do not
*demonstrate*understanding of the type model of LLSD + serializations.
 You persist in
suggesting that the extensibility of XML can extend the elementary types of
LLSD, when it absolutely cannot do that.  I am confident that you do
understand this, but it hasn't come across yet.

I recommend leaving XML out of the discussion, because it's just one out of
3 primary serializations.  Leaving it out (for now) will help highlight the
non-extensibility of the LLSD elementary data types.



>
> I know you have realized this much as you tried to promote Icesphere in the
> past, yet your political stance changes too often. Such talk doesn't belong
> on this list, you could have simply e-mail off list and asked what you don't
> understand about what I know. (was that you that sent me private email?
> nope, doesn't have "Morgaine" on the sender) On that note: I don't
> appreciate how you and others have treated me as the escapegoat! What do you
> expect? To send the inventor of XYZ language to school to certify that he
> knows XYZ language?
>
>
> I supported Icesphere and SNOW-375 because XML-based REST was useful in
LL-derived viewers, today.  VWRAP is a very different use case.  We need to
design VWRAP for the future, not merely to work with the current-day SL and
current-day Opensim.




> LLSD was specifically stated in source as the high-level like data types
> useful at low-level languages: low-level scalar data. Go ahead and assume
> LLSD means... you know... what the "reverse engineers" called it. Now that
> Mono has LLVM, and Attachment laid of Mono-employees, we can only assume
> they didn't want to look at the source of the LL version. Maybe its better
> hands now, and less need to re-standardize and re-implement the CIL
> libraries that Microsoft already distributes.
>
> It's helpful to read the source, yet due to much anxiety-induced fears of
> that alone your argument is endless and redundant to reinvent generics when
> that is already done.
>
>
>
I have no idea what any of that means.

>
>
>> Your answers simply don't address the non-extensibility and
>> non-flexibility of elementary types.  The XML tail cannot wag the ADT dog.
>>  The relationship is the other way around, it's the ADT that defines the
>> elementary types, which are transported in all serializations.
>>
>
> I have, you just avoid the demonstrated flow and source for some reason.
> ADTs still have to stream in ordinary ways to flow.
>
>
>
I don't know what you mean here.  It doesn't seem related to ADT types.


>
>> You keep referring to the flexibility of XML, but that is irrelevant to
>> the ADT.
>>
>
>
> You obviously want to avoid XML, despite the very implementation is based
> on plain text headers and XML data. I'm not even gonna ask why you avoid
> this over and over. Can you answer the question about region-agent
> transistion and if SLTP is viable, or do you want to continue to send any
> abstract data over clear text?
>
>
> No I do not want to avoid XML, quite the opposite.

XML is one of the 3 initial serializations of LLSD and it's perfectly fine
for that, and I expect XML to be used a lot over HTTP transport.  But you
cannot extend the elementary types of the ADT by extending your XML.  That's
the "XML tail wagging the ADT dog" to which I referred --- it doesn't work
that way.  If you want extensible and/or flexible elementary types, the ADT
has to be defined to allow them, because those get serialized in all 3 (or
more) serializations, not just in XML.

It's a really fundamental aspect of the ADT that it defines our types
independent of its serializations.  It's a useful concept, but the problem
with this particular one -- LLSD (DSD?) -- is that the elementary types are
neither flexible nor extensible.


Morgaine.