Re: [vwrap] Status and future of the VWRAP working group

Mark Bannon <prelog@eircom.net> Sat, 15 January 2011 13:58 UTC

Sender: mark.bannon@littlehall.com
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 14:00:49 +0000
From: Mark Bannon <prelog@eircom.net>
To: vwrap@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [vwrap] Status and future of the VWRAP working group

Hey everyone.
Up until recently I have been more of an observer in the group due to other
committee work related to 3D development.  Now being transferred onto this
end of things so should be a lot more active in this group in the future.

With regards to our options, I would personally suggest for number two.
 Certainly some refocus is required!  Number three would be a last option
situation. At least option two would give us a chance to gather our thoughts
again and then if that didn't work, option three would be there further down
the road.  Don't think we are at the point of giving up yet.

Wiki idea sounds great.  Actually I have a bit of suggestion or question to
ask.  One of the organisations I do volunteer work for (IDCAS) has created
an excellent project management system which has a wiki built into it.  Its
just one of the things incorporated into the system but has a lot of other
helpful tools.  IDCAS currently provides a lot of free services to a number
of technology groups and even help manage a quite active registered opensim
grid association as a side project in the field of 3D internet development (
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Grid_Associations). Mostly their work relates
to opensim but they work on other platforms too.  A lot of the discussion in
their grid association for the last 6 months has been related to
standardization of avatars, meshing and other properties.  So from what I
can tell IDCAS itself could be open to perhaps helping a group like ours out
if we asked them.  Would anyone like me to enquire about this, since they
are already heavily involved in the area of vwap and have a lot of members
in ICANN groups it may be good to see what support they could provide us.
I was using an internal volunteer/demo version of this developers system for
a different purpose last week and it has support ticketing systems,
project/task allocation, code/version management etc in addition to the wiki
so could be very useful.  Anyway basic question is would you like me to ask
if they could give us all access?  Word of warning though,
they typically dont grant access to individuals, they mostly only give it to
official non-profit based organisations and groups.  I think though that if
we asked as a "working group of IETF" there should not be a problem, after
all they granted access to a various ICANN groups in the past, precidence
thus has been set so think we would have a good chance of getting a lot of
help from them.  Who knows what else they might supply, know they are in
process of developing a framework/bridge for connecting opensim and websites
and are in partnership with the development team of ICMS (integrated client
messaging service) which is IANA port recognised (I know that because it was
one of the committees I got involved in a while ago so am aware of the
partnership that way), perhaps it could be a clever move on our part of ask
for help in "general" terms off them?

Returning to our group options though, so that we can go further from here.
I would certainly like to see us go for option two as its always difficult
with any project at the start, that can be equated to initial documentation
in the same way.  Once an initial version exists then people can work on it
and thus the framework develops further.

Mark