Re: [webfinger] [apps-discuss] Mail client configuration via WebFinger

George Fletcher <gffletch@aol.com> Fri, 03 June 2016 18:13 UTC

To: Marten Gajda <marten@dmfs.org>, "webfinger@ietf.org" <webfinger@ietf.org>
From: George Fletcher <gffletch@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 14:13:47 -0400
Subject: Re: [webfinger] [apps-discuss] Mail client configuration via WebFinger

Did a quick scan of the draft document. Given that more and more systems
are trying to remove the need for passwords, it seems like the final
solution needs to support 2FA and biometric mechanisms for "HTTP
authentication". I definitely would not want the webfinger instance
releasing my config data without my "authentication". I suppose OAuth2
could be used to protect the webfinger APIs though there is a bit of a
chicken-and-egg here:)

I kind of like the suggestion around returning a 401 with data in the
WWW-Authenticate header on where to get a token to use with the API.
This would allow the client to start and OAuth2 flow with the
Authorization Server specified and that would give the user a clear
indication of what password/credentials are being requested. Once the
client gets the token, it uses it with the webfinger call and now the
service-configuration data is returned because the token is the
authorization for the specified id.

Thanks,
George