Re: [webfinger] Vision for Webfinger - what are we doing?

Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> Tue, 15 October 2013 19:48 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 15:48:17 -0400
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
To: webfinger@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [webfinger] Vision for Webfinger - what are we doing?

On 10/15/13 3:23 PM, Paul E. Jones wrote:
> Eric,
>
> OpenID is not entirely dead, yet.  I still run my own OpenID OP server
> and use it to log into some sites.  I still allow OpenID logins on
> forums.packetizer.com, too.  It's still in use, but the large sites
> just didn't have enough users using it, so they axed it.  On its
> heels, though, is now OpenID Connect and it will use WebFinger for
> discovery.  so, sure... push it :-)
>
> Personally, I can think of a lot of good uses for WebFinger:
> * When I log onto a web site, I want the site to grab my name an
> picture automatically.
> * If I want somebody to send me bitcoins, I'd much rather give them my
> email address (and I do have that in my WF account)
> * My contact info is published via WebFinger, so I don't have to give
> people a lot of info on a business card
> * WebFinger will hopefully be used as the starting point for
> auto-provisioning of email clients or other devices and applications
> where one has to enter server and port information
>
> Paul

All,

Here's a simple and useful thing that can be achieved with Webfinger:

You notarize digital identity cards (aka. X.509 certificates) where an
acct: scheme URI in the certificate's SAN (Subject Alternative Name)
enables X.509 based verifiable identity beyond Email oriented S/MIME. It
also means you can construct sophisticated ACLs and Data Access Policies
for a Global Read-Write Web.

We have just released version 1.3.0 of our YouID app for iOS that
supports what I've outlined above. This product has actually supported
Webfinger since its inception. What we would liked to have been able to
add for acct: URIs and Webfinger lookups is the ability for anyone to
host their profile document via services such as Dropbox, Google Drive,
SkyDrive, Box. etc., which is what's achieved via http: scheme URIs.

Links:

1. http://youid.openlinksw.com -- home page
2. http://bit.ly/19McSik -- G+ note about the 1.3.0 release.