Re: [webfinger] [apps-discuss] Mail client configuration via WebFinger

Marten Gajda <marten@dmfs.org> Thu, 14 July 2016 22:09 UTC

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 00:08:53 +0200
From: Marten Gajda <marten@dmfs.org>
To: "Paul E. Jones" <paulej@packetizer.com>, webfinger@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [webfinger] [apps-discuss] Mail client configuration via WebFinger

Hi Paul,

please see my comments below:

Am 14.07.2016 um 08:19 schrieb Paul E. Jones:
> Let's make sure the new draft is scoped to just mail configuration.
>  (If we want to go further with calendar, contacts, etc. then arguably
> those should be separate URLs.  My mail and calendar is not provided
> by the same provider, for example.)
If we only support mail configuration this will probably fail. I think
one of the strengths of this draft is that everything is in one place.

> Caching: HTTP allows one to dictate that how long cached data can
> live. I don't think we need to specify it further.  A client will pull
> the config when the user configures the client.  There's no reason to
> cache it beyond that point.  In the off chance it queries a second
> time, it's not a big deal.  It might get pulled from web cache or
> perhaps go back to the server.  It really does not matter, since this
> should not be queried over and over.  Only in the event that a config
> change is made, the client might need to re-query the config data.
>  I'm not sure if the client should automate that process or prompt the
> user "would you like me to re-validate the configuration settings?"
> Personally, I like the latter.
Sounds reasonable. I'm not sure why the current draft has this ttl
field. I'll think about that, but we probably can ditch that.

> Certificate pinning: Why? One fetches the mail config file.  The
> client will authenticate the certificate. Is this just to catch the
> very rare case where somebody hacks DNS and gets a fake certificate?
>  That's really a broader Internet infrastructure issue that I think we
> should solve generically.  (For example, use of notaries, DNSSEC/DANE,
> etc. Personally, I use DNSSEC/DANE, but somewhere close to zero people
> make use of that data.)
Yes, that's to prevent MITM attacks. While I believe that certificate
pinning is a good thing (if done right), I'm not sure if this document
is a good place for this. I guess there are better ways to bootstrap
certificate pinning and we probably should leave this out for now.

> Certificate Auth: I'm not sure what the problem is here, unless people
> want to use enterprise-issued certificates (i.e., those that are not
> from a public CA).  If that is the case, I would not want my mail
> client to insert those into my trusted certificate store.  So, would
> those be one-time uses?  Not very useful.  I'd say the IT department
> needs to install whatever root certs are needed.  A client should
> authenticate the certificates it sees, but we don't need more words
> about it other than to say the TLS connection must be authenticated.
No, this is about client authentication, i.e. the client has to provide
a client certificate signed by some specific authority. This is not
widely used and probably more for corporate or personal use cases, but
we have a significant number of users of this security feature.
At least in Java it's a real pain to distinguish a client certificate
request from any other SSLException. So it would be helpful to know in
advance if a specific client certificate is required or not.

> Document structure:  I think keeping this simple is really best.  I
> don't think we need multiple mail providers. If the email address is
> user@example.com, <mailto:user@example.com,%20>then I think it's
> reasonable to assume example.com is the provider.  Yes, a user could
> go enter WebFinger information for some other provider, but the
> average person will not want to do that.  That's having the user
> configure the server so it can configure the client.  Not much gained
> there.  I would have something that's no more complex than something
> like this:

I fully agree that we should keep it as simple as possible. However, one
of the keys to success is that we support the services and use cases
that are not covered by the existing mechanisms. That's why I believe
that the document should have a generic structure that works with pretty
much every service out there. It shouldn't be designed around email.
This is one of the reasons for me to ditch the host/port/transport
notation and just use a single URI instead. I'm not aware of any service
that can't be addresses with a URI.

Another goal should be to revert the service discovery process to some
degree. Instead of having the client to probe the provider for each
service that might be supported, the current spec reverts that and
returns a list of everything that's supported. The local "account setup
agent" then can probe the local device software for client modules or
applications that might support a specific service. Ideally this would
be supported on OS level. So you run a generic account configuration on
OS level, the OS pulls the service configuration document and calls the
installed handlers for each supported service. It there is no client for
a specific service the OS could make suggestions like "Your provider
also supports <Some service>. Search the App Store for a suitable client
app now".

That's why I believe that we should put all services into a single
document, instead of using service specific rel-types that need to be
probed by the client.

If, like in your case, calendars and email are not hosted at the same
provider, the webfinger response for your account should just contain
two provider entries, each pointing to a document that lists all the
services provided by this provider.

Cheers,

Marten