Re: [websec] Content sniffing

"Richard L. Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com> Mon, 09 July 2012 23:19 UTC

From: "Richard L. Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 19:19:50 -0400
To: Adam Barth <ietf@adambarth.com>
Cc: websec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [websec] Content sniffing

I haven't thought much about this, but a couple of thoughts:

The binary prologue means that the document is not valid HTML, so in principle, it shouldn't be accepted as HTML.  It makes you wonder what other stuff you could put in there that the browser would stuff into the DOM without it being obvious on the wire, say, to a proxy.  I'm imagining things like encrypted / compressed Javascript code that could be unpacked by the more obviously HTML part of the page.

In a related vein, the "Text or Binary" section of draft-ietf-websec-mime-sniff says that nothing scriptable must come out of sniffing a binary blob.  Yet in this case, it produced "text/html", which is obviously scriptable.

--Richard