Re: [websec] HSTS: Infinite max-age to address NTP spoofing attack?

Xiaoyin Liu <xiaoyin.l@outlook.com> Fri, 07 November 2014 19:28 UTC

To: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net>, "websec@ietf.org" <websec@ietf.org>
From: Xiaoyin Liu <xiaoyin.l@outlook.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 14:28:42 -0500
Subject: Re: [websec] HSTS: Infinite max-age to address NTP spoofing attack?

Thank you for comment! I agree with you that setting a HSTS policy that never expires might be somewhat risky, and I totally agree with your answers to this concern. And I want to add more thoughts about it.

The current RFC 6797 doesn't specify or even recommend an upper limit for the max-age. So it's possible that sites specify a very long time span. However, all the concerns of infinite HSTS also apply to extremely-long HSTS.

For instance, if Twitter wants to gracefully switch to HTTP. It needs to send max-age=0 for twenty years in order to ensure that no one is locked out. But planning ahead twenty years is impossible. So for Twitter switching from twenty years to infinity doesn't add more risks.

Also, after all, we are not forcing websites to set non-expired HSTS. We just provide them an option to do so. It is their jobs to compare the pros and cons.

Best,
Xiaoyin