Re: [websec] HTTP Integrity header / Session Continuation scheme

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> Fri, 16 November 2012 14:41 UTC

From: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 09:41:20 -0500
To: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
Cc: websec <websec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [websec] HTTP Integrity header / Session Continuation scheme

Phillip,

you are re-inventing OAuth. In your draft you have pretty much written a copy of http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-v2-http-mac-00

You also include a MAC over the HTTP body. Folks in the OAuth community tried that as well and it did not work out too well since intermediaries mess around with the body.
You also have to selectively cover the header field and the canonicalization has caused problems for developers.

The MAC of only the headers unfortunately does not provide a lot of great properties for the security of the overall application solution since the valuable stuff is in the body.

I believe that a solution that uses TLS is better, as Google is proposing, since it covers the entire communication (including confidentiality protection) and the TLS Record Layer itself does not lead to a huge computational overhead. The heavy part is the authentication and key exchange.

Ciao
Hannes